chapter 5

It was the end of the show and people had begun piling out of the tent one by one like a school of kids. You told Alice to go home and you'd text her if anything happened even though she was reluctant to go.

Your nerves were building up as you finally plucked up enough courage to go to his trailer, you had no idea what he was going to say. You knew you wanted answers but in all honesty you were scared of what they might be.
Your feet ached after all the running and walking aimlessly around the park but eventually you reached the trailer park. There it was, Jerome's large, grey trailer sitting on a patch of grass with what you could now recognize as the snake cage.

"Didn't think you'd show gorgeous!" The door swung open to reveal Jerome standing there in half circus attire and half lazy/ comfy clothes but still somehow pulling off the sexy, adorable look.

"Yeah well, I still want an explanation" You sighed, walking up to him as he swung his hand to invite you inside.
"What's there to tell you gorgeous hmm? The GCPD needed to speak to me" Jerome's voice trailed off as you sat down in the same spot you had been in the night before.

"It was more than speaking Jerome" You muttered under your breath. Jerome simply shrugged in retaliation which just made you angrier.
"You can't expect me to witness all of that and not be in any way confused or concerned!" You watched Jerome behind the kitchen counter begin to shuffle his feet, he was getting annoyed but you didn't care.

"I mean why were they there? Who was that woman because it looked like she meant a lot to you!" Jerome's nose turned up at the words coming out of your mouth. Silence.
"For fuck sake Jerome say something!"

Jerome shot his head at you
"What do you want me to say huh!? Do you want me to tell you that she was my drunken whore of a mother?! That the GCPD knew she went missing!? That they think I might've had something to do with it!?
Well guess what. They're correct! I killed my abusive, nagging, slut of a mother! Why? Because she deserved it!!"

The trailer filled up with the most tense and awkward silence you had ever experienced. What the hell did you just hear? Your body weight shifted in the seat as you sat staring at him in astonishment. You had no idea what to say and Jerome staring at you like a mad man didn't make the situation any easier.

"Jerome.. " At last you broke the silence "I- I didn't know-"
"Forget it. Nothing you say will make a difference" Jerome cut you off, his eyes turning normal again.
You felt extremely uncomfortable just being in the same room as someone who just admitted to a murder, all you wanted to do was leave and never see him again.

You stood up and started for the door but you felt Jerome's cold hand grip your wrist and pull you back.
"Let me go! I need to go my mum will be getting worried" You lied trying to break free but his grip was too strong.
"I haven't even told you why I invited you here tonight gorgeous" A smirk began to grow on Jerome's face as he pinned you again the door trapping you.

The Jerome you originally met was showing through once more only this time he seemed more sinister yet alluring. Even though he had just admitted to killing his mother you just couldn't forget everything else that had happened, yes you were attracted to him before all this but yes you still somehow felt something towards him now.

"You see gorgeous," His face was inches from yours "I've done my research, I know who works within the GCPD" his dark green eyes pierced through yours like a laser "and I know your little friend.. Alice?... Works there too" You're eyes widened in shock, how does he know?

You opened your mouth to speak but Jerome simply cut you off "I also knew that you would be wanting answers about last night so obviously you would accept my invitation tonight and, well, here you are" His bluntness annoyed you as he waved his arm out towards the trailer indicating where we were.

"So what? What is it you want?" I almost snarled at him in retaliation.
"Well I'm glad you asked gorgeous" You rolled your eyes at him growing more impatient by the second.
"You see I'm in a bit of a.. predicament.. If you will. I was hoping it would take them a bit longer to find her but of course 'Jim Gordon' always has a way" Jerome stuck his nose up at the name as if he absolutely resented him.

"Now they're bringing me in for questioning. But! Lucky, I have a plan B all I need from your little friend is to report anything that is said about me in the GCPD back to me" He gave you a light hearted but sarcastic smile as he stared waiting for a response.
"Why should we help you?!" You felt Jerome loosen his grip so you took the opportunity to break free and slide under his arm back into the trailer.

"Well because look at me. I'm irresistible" Jerome chuckled as he air brushed down his figure making you scoff and raise an eyebrow.

"Ok, ok. You should do this because I can help you" His expression turned serious, no longer showing his exaggerated smile.

"Oh yeah, how so?" You mimicked a sarcastic accent and folded your arms curious as to what he meant.
"I know something's hurting you, something's dragging you down. I could see it in your face when we met love" Jerome walked towards you but you stood completely still wanting to hear more.

"I'm guessing it has something to do with your family, am I right? You're parents to be more specific. I saw what happened last year when you came to my show" Your mind raced back to last year as memories swarmed your brain.

Last year had been rough. Your birthday comes just before the circus does each year and so last year was your 16th so naturally both your parents had wanted to be there for it. The only problem was neither of them wanted to do anything special all they wanted to do was be with you to sing happy birthday. You had received no gifts from either of them, no cake, no nothing.

However when it came time to go to the circus both of them jumped at the opportunity to take you because they believed that was a good enough gift. Don't get me wrong you didn't want anything spectacular you just wanted a little attention maybe even a keyring at best, all your life you've felt like you've been pushed aside especially now with your baby brother. But your birthday was spent up in your room alone while your dad went out to hook up with a girl while your mother focused all her attention on herself or your brother.

On the first night of the circus your mum and dad had both offered to drive you but you declined both of them and walked there instead. The moment you arrived you saw both of them waiting outside the tent far apart from each other. They were hell bent on sitting with you. In the end you had to scream at them to go home but your mum slapped you in retaliation causing your dad to start a fight with her. The whole scene turned into a huge mess obviously dragging attention from everyone resulting in a massive audience.

You didn't know who but someone eventually managed to seperate you all but your parents just glared at you and walked away, kicking you to the ground on the way out.

"You were there?! You were in the audience watching?!" You grew hotter with anger at the thought of Jerome standing there doing nothing. Your cheeks burned in embarrassment knowing your only crush witnessed your life falling apart.

"No I wasn't. I was the one that broke you guys apart" You stared at him in confusion trying to put everything together, that's when it hit you. That night during the fighting you remembered faintly seeing someone with ginger hair exactly like Jerome's walking off just after ending it all.

"You did that? Why?" You just couldn't seem to understand why a person like Jerome who literally just admitted to killing someone would use his energy to help some worthless family like yours. Jerome remained silent and just shrugged like it was no big deal.

"The point is love, I can help you. I know what it's like to be in a family that doesn't want you. If you help me I'll take away your problems" What the hell did he mean by this?

Was he going to kill your family?!