chapter 14

"I killed him! I really killed him" You paced back and forth Theo's bedroom while Jerome sat on the bed half asleep.
"Yes. Yes you did" His half lazy voice came from the bed. "H-he was just there.. Lifeless. Omg!" You began panicking all over again, shaking your head trying to remove the image but it just kept replaying like a broken record.

"Hey, listen. The first is always the hardest but it gets easier" Jerome had stood up, stopping you from pacing. He tried to give you a lighthearted smile but you hit his arm and began shouting at him. "Why did you make me do that!!?? Why me? Why not you?!" With every sentence you said, you pushed him ever so slightly back until he was right up against the wall.

"Easy gorgeous, I know you wanted to see what it felt like. It did feel great though, didn't it?" Jerome's voice dropped as he gave you a smirk. Even though you were roped into all this madness, deep down you knew he was right. It did feel good. The adrenaline it gave you, the power. It was so wrong that it somehow felt good. But of course there was no way you were admitting it to him.

"No! It did not! He was your father" You had stopped hitting him and had now sat down on the bed, followed by Jerome. "He deserved it" Jerome suddenly growled at you in hatred.
"Him and Lila were the reason my childhood was messed up" You stopped shouting and turned to him, "but I guess I also have them to thank" Jerome turned to look out the window "they're the reason I am who I am" And that was it, Jerome had begun his inhumane, cold- blooded laugh that sent shivers up your spine.

----------

"Time to get ready everyone. We don't want to be late!" Theo shouted through the house, alerting everyone. "What's going on?" You asked Jerome who was fumbling through a pile of clothes.

"Tonight is the night" He went deeper into the pile searching for a certain outfit. "Tonight. We will put on a show that everyone will remember. And I'm gonna be the star... Aha!" Jerome sounded like a child getting excited for their first school showcase as he pulled out a suit from the pile, holding it up to the light.

The top glistened slightly in the beam of light that highlighted it which just made you all the more curious. Jerome placed it gently onto the bed next to you and walked towards a box that was seated on a chair. "Here wear this tonight so no one recognizes you straight away, plus it smells like me so you'll be happy" You smiled as he handed you the box and kissed your head. You opened it to reveal the most stunning dress you had ever seen. You pulled the velvet material out and held it against your body, it was a blood red shade that shined in the light and matched your pale skin beautifully.

"Listen to me carefully love, tonight is the gala. Go to it, I've set out a designated seat for you in the corner of the room so you'll not only be hidden but you'll have a great view of the stage. I won't be with you but I'll be there" Jerome held your chin up as he spoke to you, letting you take in every word. "Head there now and I'll catch up" Jerome pulled you in for a long almost goodbye kiss before opening the door for you to leave.

----------

The street was filled with the sound of footsteps all heading the same way with music blaring from the building up in front. Everyone looked so posh and rich, dressed in shades of reds, greens and blacks but thanks to the dress Jerome gave you, you fit right in. As you entered the building, various amounts of colour burned your eyes. Everyone was standing chatting to one another or eating at a table.

You walked through the rooms and entered the main Hall which had a stage placed at the front, matching the orange cushions behind it. Everywhere you went there was talk of a magician and how they were excited for him which made you all the more curious as to why this was so important to Jerome.