EIGHT

𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐙𝐕𝐎𝐔𝐒
↳EIGHT; DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS

𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐙𝐕𝐎𝐔𝐒↳EIGHT; DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

"WHERE'D YOU GO LAST NIGHT?" Hermione asked Hope as they sat at the Gryffindor table for breakfast the next day.

They were opposite each other, whilst Harry was next to Hope and Ron next to Hermione. The two boys looked at her interest as she looked up from her plate of bacon.

"What do you mean?"

"You came back into the dorm extremely late. So, where were you?"

"I couldn't sleep so I went down the common room." Hope easily lied. She didn't need her friends knowing just yet.

"Tea always helps me." Ron said through his mouth full of food.

Hope pulled a disgusted look and Ron looked appalled. "How can you not like tea?"

"I prefer coffee. But that tends to keep me awake."

Twenty minutes later and the four of them were sat in their desks for Defence Against the Dark Arts. If it was going to be anything like the first lesson, they had with Professor Snape, it would not be fun.

"Wands away. As I said, we will be studying different types of magic." Snape looked right at Hope when he said the word different.

She didn't back down from his stare.

"Normally, this wouldn't be taught at all. But I thought it was...fitting." Snape started as he stared at all his students. "Our magic isn't the only type of magic that exists. There is another form called Terra Magic. They don't use wands and there is lots of different forms of it."

The class were taking notes, all except for Hope. Why bother when she knew it all anyway. Diagonally behind her, Draco kept watching Hope Marshall, numerous thoughts and questions running through his mind. Who the hell was she?

"Some of these forms are Ancestral, Sacrificial, Voodoo, Blood, and Dark Magic. This is not all, as covens' study different types. These types of witches cannot practice ours, and we cannot practice theirs. Except for a rare few."

Hope straightened her posture. She knew exactly where this was going.

"We are lucky to be in the presence of one of those rare few. How about a demonstration, Miss Marshall?"

All eyes turned to Hope, who didn't shake from the nerves.

"We don't have all day, Miss Marshall." Snape stressed as he summoned her up to the front of the classroom.

Begrudgingly she stood up and walked through the desks to stand next to Snape. She didn't think she would be outed for being a Terra witch so soon. Although of course it would be Snape who exposed her from all she had heard about him from Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"Any requests?" She asked Snape, annoyed.

"Something simple will do."

He wanted simple, huh? She could at least make it fun. Fun for her certainly.

"Imitantor pupulus." Hope spoke clearly as she moved her hands to cast the spell.

"And what was the purpose of that spell, Miss Marshall. I expected a difference or are you incompetent at your own magic?" Snape drawled.

She mockingly smiled at him and crossed her arms across her chest. And he unexpectedly did the same. Although, he still hadn't realised what was happening. She reached up with one hand and ran it through her hair, making sure to act extra so that he did the same.

"It's a mimicking spell!" Hermione called out astounded.

"Exactly." Hope smirked. "This spell copies every single movement yet allows speech to continue as normal."

She walked back and forth, and Snape followed suit.

"Miss Marshall, I would refrain from doing any—" Snape was cut off, surprised at his own actions as he began to spin on the spot, mimicking Hope to perfection.

The students burst into laughter as Snape wouldn't stop spinning, something no-one thought they'd ever see their professor do.

"Marshall." Snape growled through the spinning, and she immediately cast the counter spell.

She had a wide grin on her face.

Snape straightened out his cloak and stood at the front of the classroom once more, glaring at Hope. "10 points from Gryffindor. Now, if anyone has any questions about Terra Magic, I would ask now, considering this will be the last lesson you will have on it."

Hands shot up into the air, as Snape pointed at them to ask their questions to Hope.

"Which magic were you born into?"

"Terra. I only knew about wand magic once I turned eleven."

"Do you have a coven?"

"I'm from the New Orleans' Coven. They used to study Ancestral magic."

"Used to?" Snape asked.

"Yes. The witches destroyed the Ancestors because they were becoming too powerful. It all started when they wanted to sacrifice a baby and started bringing back the wrong people from the dead." Hope didn't dare mention that she was the baby.

"You can bring back people from the dead?" Harry leant forward at this question.

"It's a very hard type of magic. Rarely anyone has achieved it. But in my coven, they used to have a tradition called the Harvest Ritual. It happened every 300 years, where four young witches would be sacrificed to strengthen the connection between the living witches and the deceased Ancestors. The coven is then rewarded for their offering by the Ancestors resurrecting the four witches. However, this ridiculous ritual was put to end when the Ancestors were destroyed."

"What makes a spell Dark Magic?"

"Anything that goes against the balance of nature. Although, the more you use, the more it will consume you and begin to control you."

"Are there magic schools like here?"

"No. You learn from your coven and through grimoires. It's a spell book, but it doesn't have every single spell only what your coven practises."

The class had never asked so many questions before in a lesson. Everyone was so intrigued by the new type of magic that they had never heard of before.

"That's enough questions. This will lead into our next lesson about vampires and werewolves."

"We've studied them before." Ron protested.

"Not their Origins."

Hope worriedly eyed Snape for a second. What the hell was he playing at? Was he trying to expose her so easily? She needed to be careful. Extra careful around him.