17 || finally

Shock? No, not quite. Frustration? Annoyance? Fred wasn't so sure how to describe his emotions which were running wild. The walk back to the castle was silent, something unusual between the twins. He knew George was feeling the tension as well, and he had an inkling feeling his twin knew exactly what cause the tension between them.

Ah – protectiveness. Yes, Fred decided, that was probably the best way to describe how he felt. Gaia had something with that Beauxbatons lad, why would she agree to go with George? If anything, it would only lead to his twin's heartbreak so of course he was feeling protective and hesitant. Yes, that was it – the reason why it felt like needles were repeatedly stabbing his chest as someone stomped on it. No, the feeling definitely wasn't betrayal, not at all.

As they passed other students on the way back to the Gryffindor common room, they received curious and apprehensive looks. Some were extremely cautious – why else would the Weasley twins walk in complete silence if not to plan something big? Other were worried – why were they standing at a distance from each other?

"Didn't know you asked Gaia on a date," Fred commented, finally breaking the silence as they started passing less people near the top of the staircases.

"Asked her yesterday." George shrugged, glancing at his brother to judge his reaction.

It dawned on the twins just how badly the situation could potentially escalate when they were once again with an unusual silence.

"You didn't have to lie and tell me you liked Malia, y'know. Kind of hurt that you did," Fred joked, punching his brother slightly on the arm.

"Wha-"

"Could've told me you liked Gaia, git." Fred grinned tensely.

"Gaia?" George asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Well yeah, why else ask her on a date?" Fred replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Dimwit, the Yule Ball. I asked her to be my date to the Yule Ball – y'know, as friends," George explained, emphasizing friends.

"Right, right. As friends," Fred laughed, though George could tell how forced it was, "What happened to that Beauxbatons lad?"

"Obviously, they're not going together if Gaia agreed to go with me," George said.

"You should be careful. Don't really fancy comforting you when I should be enjoying the ball," Fred added, facing forwards.

"Careful with what? We're not challenging each other to a duel, Fred, we're going to a ball," George joked.

"We both know you're more of a crybaby than me," Fred said.

"Am not!" George said, faking offense though his eyebrows furrowed, "Why would I cry anyways?"

"When you realize you don't have a chance against that Louis," Fred said, stopping and turning to face his brother.

"Fred, wha-" George stopped in his tracks, "A chance – Is that what you think this is about? Think I'm trying to get move on Gaia?"

"I won't tell her if you don't," Fred said, his voice clipped as he turned around.

"Fred-"

"S'this what you meant?" Fred asked, his voice uncharacteristically quiet.

"What?" George asked.

"When you said someone else would sweep her off her feet, you meant yourself?" Fred asked, looking at his brother over his shoulder.

"What? No-" George started denying it.

"Actually, let's not talk about it. Just don't come whining when she chooses the Beauxbatons kid over you," Fred cut him off.