02 || a black dog

The sorting ceremony was always the worst part of the beginning of the school year, in Gaia's opinion. It always took too long, considering the sheer number of students to be sorted AND the fact that some students took a while to sort. So per usual, she tuned out the ceremony.

"Walsh, Daniel!" – "RAVENCLAW!"

The brown-haired boy stood up from the stool and made his way over to the Ravenclaw table as they clapped for him.

"Told you you'd be in Ravenclaw, Dani," Desiree Walsh said from a seat closer to the end of the table as the applause for the last first year to be sorted died down.

Professor Dumbledore stood up to the podium once the hall became silent.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast," Professor Dumbledore said cheerily, though his expression quickly turned serious, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

"What? Seriously?" Jewel whispered to no one in particular.

"Is this because of the whole Sirius Black thing?" Kaleb whispered as he sat in front of Gaia.

"Yeah," Gaia nodded, "Black's really dangerous, and Azkaban is supposed to be inescapable so Black, of all people, getting out is a big thing," she said in a quiet voice.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors," Dumbledore continued.

"Seems like we have our work cut out for us," Kaleb sighed, resting his chin on his palm as he propped his arm up on the table.

Alongside Gaia, Kaleb had been made the Ravenclaw 5th year prefect as well.

"I'm glad I'm not a prefect," Michael teased.

"No one asked you, Elliot," Gaia retorted with an eye-roll.

Michael gasped playfully and clutched at his chest.

"Oh fair maiden, how you wound me!" Michael cried lowly.

"Shut up." Gaia grinned before pushing him away from her slightly, the boy laughing all the while.

"On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," Professor Dumbledore announced, now sounding lighter than just a few moments ago.

The man she had been talking to earlier stood up and did a slight bow. Although everyone clapped, the only people who actually clapped enthusiastically were Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, and Ginny.

"As to our second new appointment - Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties," Professor Dumbledore continued to say once the applause died down.