11 || blue

Gaia felt her heart beating faster than ever, her small figure slightly stumbling as her mother shoved the pair of 2-year-olds into her arms.

"Gaia! Gaia, take Lele and Lucas and hide! Hide!" her mother whispered hurriedly.

No. No. Nononononono-

Not again. Please, no.

"Gaia!" her mother kneeled down in front of her, "Gaia, please. I need you to trust me, sweetheart."

"Mama, no. When I left Auntie Lily, she-"

"Gaia." Mrs. Eruditus looked at her daughter sternly, "I promise you, that won't happen again. Alright?"

Gaia's mind was racing with the suppressed memories of that night in the Potters' house. No, she couldn't leave her mother. When Auntie Lily told her to do the same, the next thing Gaia knew, she was-

"Gaia."

"Promise?" Gaia's voice shook.

"I promise."

Gaia's eyes snapped open, meeting the dark ceiling of her room. She blinked a few more times, her breath heavy as the dream started to fade from her mind. After a few seconds, it became blurry; but she still knew exactly what she was dreaming of.

She sat up, her eyes automatically flicking to the picture frame on her desk. Shown there was a picture of a 4-year-old Gaia holding two babies, a boy and a girl, one in each hand. Before she could process it, she was already walking towards the desk. She took the picture in her hand, raising it up to her eyes as they focused on the baby boy.

"I wonder what house you would've been in, Lucas."

✧✧✧

The Eruditus household felt too quiet. One would be able to feel the tension in any corner of the house. It was unusual, as the family was usually very bright.

"We need to talk, Maria," Mr. Eruditus said one night.

"No, we don't." Mrs. Eruditus' tone was light, but firm, as she sat in front the vanity mirror in their room, brushing through the tangled locks in her hair.

"Love," Mr. Eruditus stood from the bed and came up behind her, "Let me rephrase then; our daughters need us to talk."

Mrs. Eruditus' hand stopped, slowly putting down the brush.

"Lele hasn't come out of her room in days. Gaia's hair has stayed blue ever since; blue. When was the last time we even saw her hair fully blue?" Mr. Eruditus continued.

Mrs. Eruditus sighed, gripping the hand of her husband that was on her shoulder and looked at him through the mirror.

"And what do we say? We remind them that Lucas is gone, and that there's nothing we can do about it? What else can we say?" Mrs. Eruditus asked, her voice starting to tremble, "I'm their mother, Will. I should know them better than anyone. But I don't know what to do," she cried.

"Mari-"

"I can't get my youngest to even respond, I can't cheer up my eldest. What am I supposed to do!?"

"I'm sorry, mom."

The pair whipped around to see Lele standing in the doorway, the mention of Lucas having brought her out of her room, and to her parents'.

"Lele, sweetheart-"

"I was just... scared. No one's really mentioned him in 11 years," Lele said, stepping into the room, "But, I'm okay now. I just... needed time to process."