thirty six

Chapter 36

"Mom died on Jihoon's 11th birthday." Yeeun said while walking with Jaemin. "That's why he doesn't celebrate his birthday. He doesn't want to remember the day mom died because of a disease."

"What about dad?" Jaemin asked as they entered the coffee shop near Jaemin and Hendery's place.

Yeeun took a deep breath, "Dad died because of heart attack. Back then, we already have our company back thanks to Jihoon. He worked really hard just to get our company back." She said and looked at Jaemin. "Tell me more about your adoptive family."

"I was the only child, and I knew that I was adopted since my mom and dad told me, and didn't want to keep it as a secret," Jaemin said. "I accepted it, because I didn't know anything back then."

"I never got along with my cousins," He quoted the word cousins in the air while letting out a scoff. "And I understand them, because who would want to be friends with an orphan?" He chuckled a little.

"After my parents died, the only family I had left were my friends." Jaemin said. "Some of us lived together in a dorm, up until now, actually, they live together in a much bigger apartment. While I live with Haejin."

Yeeun didn't fail to notice how her brother smiles every time he mentions Haejin's name, and she feels happy about it. "How about you and Haejin?" She asked and Jaemin instantly smiled.

"We're good," Jaemin started. "We're a little over a year but we've been together throughout our entire lives." He said and smiled.

She knows, that Jaemin could sit here and talk about Haejin non-stop. She knows how this man in front of her loves Haejin dearly. She knows, and she could clearly see, how Jaemin grew up to be a fine man.

She hasn't met Haejin yet, but she feels that she's a kind person, like Jaemin.

They truly deserve each other.

***

November 18. Seoul, South Korea

1 year and 5 months.

They haven't seen each other for a year and five months, and finally, the day that was encircled red in the calendar finally came.

Jaemin's arrival.

There's no person happier than Haejin, who waited long enough for this day to come. She cleaned the apartment the moment she woke up, so that when Jaemin arrives, he would see the apartment spotless.

Next, she bathes Nari, their 19-month old pet corgi. She remembers the reason why the two of them chose 'Nari' as their pet's name. It was a combination of their surnames, Na and Lee. It could also mean 'day' if it's written differently.

She arrived at the airport an hour before Jaemin's actual arrival.

10:30

Jaemin's flight was probably landing, and her heart was beating fast. A year and five months are finally over.

She was fidgeting, and she's about to cry because of excitement, happiness and nervousness combined. Then, she could see people coming out of the arrival area. She tiptoed to look for the love of her life.

She could imagine him pushing his cart while smiling at her.

But when she finally sees him, everything was different.

Her smile fades.

Jaemin was with a girl—someone she doesn't have any idea who.

"Jaemin-ah!" She almost forgot that she was with some of their friends at the airport. She only remembered it the moment Jungwoo yelled beside her.

Jungwoo waved his hands and jumped up and down so that Jaemin could see them.

"Na Jaemin!" Taeyong also yelled and waved his banner.

Jaemin looked towards their direction and said something to the girl beside him. They waved at each other before Jaemin ran towards his friends' direction.

"You idiots!" Jaemin yelled and hugged Taeyong and Jungwoo who was beside Haejin, and of course, didn't fail to smile and hug Haejin who was just standing still. "I missed you so much." He said and hugged her tight.

Haejin chuckled, "I missed you more, silly."

***

"I don't get it," Jaemin tells Mark who was busy munching on his burger. He looked at Haejin who was at the living room while playing with Nari.

Mark raised a brow, "What is it that you don't get?"

Jaemin sighed, "Ever since we arrived here at our apartment, she just--ignored me." He frowned. "Is something wrong, hyung?"

"Maybe she's just tired? I have no idea, she didn't tell me anything." Mark shrugged.

"Hyung, did I perhaps... do something wrong again?"

"Can you calm down?" Mark told him as he placed his can of soda on the table. "One thing I know is that she's currently writing a sequel for her novel, but the thing is, she can't write anything."

The younger frowned and looked at his girlfriend apologetically.

"Today's the day!" Jaemin could only smile at Haejin who was getting ready for her first book release. "Oh my gosh, I'm so nervous, and I don't usually get nervous..."

"Everything will be alright, don't be nervous!" He said and smiled at her. "Just imagine that it'll be just you and I at the conference."

Haejin took a deep breath and nodded, "Okay okay, I got this."

"Take lots of photos, okay?" He asked and Haejin nodded. "You can do it! Fighting, Haejinnie!"

"I'll get going now. Take care, Jaemin! I love you!"

***

"Wait, why the hell are you here?" Irene pointed at Haejin who just entered their office. "I thought you took a day off because today is your boyfriend's arrival?" She asked the girl who sat down on her usual spot—the table beside Donghyuck.

Haejin just shrugged and opened her computer. She didn't reply to anybody who was trying to talk to her. After she gave almost everyone the cold shoulder, Donghyuck decided to talk to her.

"Something happened, am I right?" Donghyuck whispered and kick the floor so that his chair would move closer to Haejin. "Yah, are you going to ignore me, too?" He frowned.

The girl stopped writing on her notebook and just looked at her friend, "I'm a couple of months late, but why the hell do I think that Hendery-oppa was right?" She told Donghyuck and covered her face using her hands.

"Right? What do you mean?"

She looked at him, "About the girl."

-tbc.