nine

Chapter 9

Haejin has been staring at the ceiling for who knows how long. She has been silent ever since Jaemin went to his room earlier.

She kept on tossing and turning but she just couldn't sleep. She tried closed her eyes for the nth time that night, hoping that she would fall asleep, but she heard the door creak open.

Did someone break in? Is that a thief? Lord, I don't wanna die yet—

"Love?" Jaemin's voice, although a whisper, echoed in the room. Haejin shuffled from her bed and looked at Jaemin, throwing him a smile.

"Hmm?" She hummed. Jaemin walked towards her bed while sulking. "What's with that face? Is everything okay?" She asked once Jaemin was lying beside her, his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Can't sleep?" She asked. The boy didn't respond, which is why she thought she was right.

She looked at the television that was turned off and sighed, "If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea, I'll sail the world... to find you..." She started singing, and Jaemin looked up to admire his girlfriend's face.

"If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see, I'll be the light to guide you..." She smiled and played with his hair, grabbing some, only to tie it with a ponytail she found on her bedside table.

"Find out what we're made of..." Jaemin continued the song. "When we are called to help our friends in need..."

"You can count on me like one, two, three, I'll be there... and I know when I need it I can count on you like four, three, two, you'll be there..." The two sang together.

"'Cause that's what friends are supposed to do oh yeah..." They became silent after the verse. They could only hear the sound of the airconditioner which was giving them cold air at the moment.

"I'm sorry..." He decided to break the silence..

"What for?" She asked. "Did something happen?" Jaemin didn't respond once again, making her frown. "Do you... Do you want to talk about it, love?"

Jaemin pulled away from her and pulled her up so that the two of them would be seated. "Earlier, Jihoon-hyungie told me, and my boys, that our progress with the game..." he sighed. "...was stolen."

Her eyes widened and she covered her mouth in shock, "O-Oh... oh my gosh..." She held her hand. "What are you gonna do?! Oh my gosh, love, I'm sorry...."

"No, no, no..." Jaemin shook his head continuously and held her hand. "It's not just that love." He pressed his lips to a thin line. "Actually, I'm kinda over that... it's not what I'm thinking of. I'm just hoping and praying that the flashdrive has virus."

Haejin sighed, "Then why do you look so down? You aren't usually like that. The last time I saw you like that was when your parents passed away..."

"Haejin-ah..." Jaemin looked at her straight in the eye. "Jihoon-hyung... he offered me a higher position."

"Really?!" She smiled. "We should celebrate, then—"

The boy held her hand to stop her from standing up. "No, Haejin, that's not it..." He said calmly.

She frowned, "What, then? You keep on cutting your stories!" She playfully hit his shoulder.