Chapter 15: A Ringing Doorbell

About one and a half months have passed since I was reunited with my biological family. The time moved surprisingly fast. Hannah, Atlas, and Henry were still living with us. It was pretty nice! I had started calling Kylie mom, and Joshua dad. It just felt right I guess. Atlas and Henry called Kylie mommy, and Joshua daddy. I guess it felt right to them too. Yet, they were both too little to remember their biological parents. Henry never even called anyone by mom or dad. He probably just copied Calvin after all. I'm not sure if him or Atlas know what it means to call someone mom or dad. They probably don't know what they're saying. They probably don't know that by calling someone mom or dad it means you're choosing that person to be your parent, your caregiver. Hannah knows this. I know she does. She never once called either of them mom or dad which is totally understandable. She has only knew them for a month! Hannah does get in arguments once in a while. I think she feels like she fits in. I hope she does. I mean, who wouldn't want to be in this awesome family?

"Evelyn, get some beef from the fridge for the tacos!" Mom ordered.

I opened my mouth to protest. I just came in here to get a snack before dinner, not to become an assistant chef!

"No buts! Get that beef!" Mom scolded.

I groaned, but hurried to the fridge. I quickly opened it, and got the beef. Mom snatched from my hands, and hurried away. What's the big deal anyway? It's just plain old dinner, not something fancy!

"Cut up those vegetables on the counter child! I don't have all night to make this meal! Chop chop!" Mom called over her shoulder.

I sighed, and made my way to the vegetables. I grabbed the onion, and placed it on the neatly laid out cutting board. I suspected Mom just wanted to keep me busy. She had time to neatly lay out a cutting board, a knife, and all these pre washed vegetables, but she couldn't find the time to actually cut the vegetables up? I didn't believe that for a second! I picked up the knife right as the doorbell rang

"I'll get it!!" I shouted, happy to get away from cooking.

"Be quick if you want to eat tonight!" Mom snapped, only half joking.

"I will! Don't worry!" I reassured while jogging to the front door.

The doorbell rang again.

"Coming!" I screamed at the door while picking up my pace.

Once I got to the door, I peeked outside through the peephole. Blackness. It was nighttime, so I guess it made since that it was dark. I grabbed the door knob, and turned it. I pulled the heavy door open. Two people stood in front of me. A man and a woman. I stared at them for a moment with a mix of pure horror and shock.

In front of me was Caroline and Aiden. They looked surprised to see me answering the door. They probably thought I was locked up in a room or something, hidden away from people. Before they could say anything, I slammed the door in their faces.

"Who was that? Some stupid salesperson?" Hannah asked, coming down the stairs.

I jumped at her voice. I hadn't heard her behind me.

"Worse," I whispered.

"Evelyn? You okay? Who was at the door?" Mom asked coming towards me.

I gave her a blank stare, "Caroline and Aiden."

"Caroline and Aiden? Evelyn, their 10 hours away. They're not here," Mom reassured, grabbing my arm gently.

"It's them," I insisted.

"Evelyn? It's me, your father Aiden. Open this door young lady. We need to talk," Aiden's voice boomed.

"Yep, yep, we're going to the living room." Mom mumbled, grabbing both Hannah and I.