Chapter 4: Tacos and Photos

The next day was amazing. I had almost finished my project. I aced my math quiz, and basically had an amazing Tuesday. That night Mom made tacos, since it was Tuesday. I smiled while everyone got their food, and when we began to eat. We began our normal dinner time routine of talking about our day, and asking questions.

"How was your day, Caroline?" Dad asked, happily.

"It was good." Mom smiled.

"Did you clean the house? It looks amazing!" Dad complimented.

"Thank you, Aiden. I did." Mom blinked slowly.

"These tacos are amazing, Mom!" Amelia complimented, taco falling out of her mouth.

Finley burst out laughing, Emerson just stared at her, Mom bit her lip trying not to laugh, Dad shook his head, I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

"What's wrong, sister?" Amelia smiled at me, more taco falling out of her mouth.

"You're disgusting!" I tried not to gag.

"No I'm not! MOMMMMM!!!!!! SHE'S BULLYING ME!!!!!!!!" Amelia screeched.

Mom forced her face to be serious.

"Evelyn! How dare you be mean to your older sister?" Mom scolded.

Amelia pointed and laughed.

"That's not fair! Amelia's a pain! She bullies us!" Finley argued.

"Yeah! Evelyn's our only nice sister!" Emerson agreed.

Amelia pretended to look offended, as I smiled innocently. Amelia grabbed her taco and flung it at me. It hit me in the chest, and I fell out of my chair onto the floor. Finley chuck a raw egg, from gosh knows where, at Amelia. It hit her in the face. Mom started laughing. Emerson lunged at Finley, food started flying. Amelia chucked food at them. I stayed on the floor, hiding under the table, hoping to be hidden.

"STOP!" Dad yelled.

I cringed. Finley and Emerson froze mid food fight. Amelia toppled over. Mom immediately stopped laughing. Dad stood up, and walked over to where I was hiding. He bent over, and pulled me out from under the table, and to my feet.

"Are you okay, Evelyn?" Dad asked sternly.

I nodded quickly.

"Good." He responded, showing no emotion.

Then, Dad turned around to face everyone else.

"I want this whole mess cleaned up before you go upstairs. Make sure you clean yourselves up as well." Dad ordered sternly.

Dad then walked out. We all turned to Mom. She looked at us.

"I'm not helping you out of this one!" She jumped up quickly and ran out.

Amelia exploded in a fit of laughter, which Finley and Emerson joined in. I giggled so hard I almost fell back onto the ground.

    After about 3 hours after dinner, we finally finished cleaning the dining room. Not before Finley threw syrup on the ground, or before Amelia spread the flour on the ground. Emerson even threw a few more eggs on the ground. They ran, and slid across the floor; mostly or hopefully avoiding the table and chairs. I even tried sliding a few times. We  made flour angels too! Soon after we started, we had to clean it up quickly, and run into separate bathrooms to clean up.

At 8 pm, I tipped toed down the stairs to the living room to where Mom was sitting. Dad was sitting in the big armchair in the corner. A lamp shone on the book he was reading silently. Mom was sitting on the huge couch sewing a new pair of green socks. Mom looked up as I entered. She gave me a warm smile when she realized it was me.

"Hello Evelyn. Do you need something?" Mom asked.

"Have you had time to look for those baby photos?" I asked, trying not to sound demanding.

"Oh Evelyn! Sweetpea! I completely forgot!" Mom threw her hands in the air.

"It's okay." I reassured.

"I'll get them to you by 8:30." Mom promised.

I heard Dad begin to speak, so I quickly looked at him.

"Evelyn? What time is it?" Dad asked.

"About 8 pm." I responded.

"What time are you supposed to go to bed?" Dad questioned.

"8:30 pm." I replied.

"Why are you bothering your mother so late?" Dad asked.

I looked at Dad utterly confused.

"It's late, Evelyn-" Dad began.

"But I need it for a project!" I protested, interrupting him.

I quickly slapped my hand over my mouth. Dad glared at me for a second before beginning again.

"What is the famous phrase?" He asked, not taking his eyes off me.

"Early settlers make early risers?" I tipped my head.

"Good. Now you should stop bothering your mother, and get to bed. If you go to bed this early, then you're sure to wake early enough tomorrow to work on your project." Dad ordered.

"Okay." I faked a smile.

Mom looked at me, apologetic which I returned with a reassuring glance.

I layed in bed until 10 pm. I had heard my parents go to bed at 9. No photos. Weren't the photos in the attic? Sure they were! Why couldn't I just go get them? Instead of bothering them, I could just go get them myself. I grabbed a flashlight off my nightstand, and walked to the room with the attic door. I gently grabbed the attic door, and pulled it down slowly and quietly. I reached up and grabbed the attic floor. I pulled myself into the attic. I turned on the flashlight and shone it around. I began to search the attic. I found old jewelry pieces, which were probably over 50 years old. I found old guns, toys, cribs, books, trophies, anything I could imagine. Except my baby photos. After about a hour, I got bored and decided to look at Amelia's photos. I grabbed the box and opened it. I shuffled through the photos. Amelia stood in mud glaring at the camera, Amelia playing with barbies, Amelia with Mickey Mouse, Amelia as a baby in her new crib. I stopped and stared at the photo. A baby photo? I thought Mom kept them somewhere else. I glanced through more photos finding more of Amelia as a baby. I shrugged it off. My box was filled with photos; much fuller than Amelia's. I cleaned up the photos, and went out of the attic. I grabbed Mom's laptop that was on a side table on my way back to my room. I sat on my bed and opened the laptop. Surely some photos would be posted on Facebook? I login in as my mom. I was about to open Facebook when a message popped up. Without thinking I clicked on it. I read the message. My whole body shook. I jumped away from the laptop. I started shaking with absolute dread as my mind processed what was on the screen before me.

~Note~

Thank you everyone for 63 reads! For me that's a bunch of reads! Especially on only my first book! I hoped you enjoy this chapter! The taco scene was my favorite scene to write about! And your welcome for leaving you on a cliffhanger! Have a amazing day!