Chapter 5: Memories

I grabbed the nearest thing to me; my stuffed dog named Blueberry. I clutched Blueberry to my chest, and laid back onto my bed; tears streaming down my face. I closed my eyes, and allowed myself to enter my mind to find my memories.

I was 8 again. Amelia was 9, and our brothers were 3. I jumped out of the new white ford. I wore only a bathing suit. It was a one piece with pink and white stripes. Amelia jumped out next to me. She was wearing a one piece swimsuit with a yellow crown in the center and a purple background. Mom unbuckled Emerson. Both of them were wearing swimsuits. Mom's long black hair was tied back in a ponytail. Mom set Emerson down next to me and Amelia.

"I'm going to get Finley out of his car seat. Can I trust the two of you to watch Emerson?" Mom asked gently.

"Yes Mom!" We both chanted at the same time.

Mom set Emerson down next to me. I quickly grabbed his hand. He looked up at me.

"Pway?" Emerson looked at me with big wide brown eyes.

"No Emerson! You'll never get to play again!" Amelia exclaimed seriously.

Emerson only looked at her for a second before breaking out bawling. I quickly scooped him up and cuddled him. Mom came around the car again with Finley. She placed Finley down, and I did the same with Emerson. Mom put on Finley's life vest, Emerson's life vest, and my water wings. She sprayed all of us with sunscreen. Mom picked up two chairs; Dad came around the car with coolers, towels, extra sunscreen, beach toys, and goodness knows what else.

"Go ahead kids!" Mom smiled down at us.

Amelia sprinted off. I ran after her. The heat burned my face, as did asphalt underneath my feet. It was so hot; I almost passed out.

"Girls!" Dad called.

I spun around and ran back to him. Amelia streamed passed me

"What?" Amelia crossed her arms and pouted.

"Don't run." Dad warned.

"Why! Mom said to go!" Amelia protested.

"It's almost 95 degrees Amelia. You might pass out if you run in this heat." Dad explained.

"Mom said we can run!" Amelia insisted.

"Your mother said you can go. Not that you could run." Dad corrected.

Amelia stuck out her bottom lip.

"No pouting. Both of you. Take your brothers, and head to the lake. Speed walking at the fastest. Got it?" Dad ordered.

We both nodded. I grabbed Emerson's hand, and Amelia grabbed Finley's. Amelia sped walked as fast as she could, dragging Finley behind her. I walked slowly; allowing Emerson to keep up. When we rounded the corner, I saw Amelia running into the water; Finley struggling after her. I heard kissing sounds behind me. I wrinkled my nose in disgust, and walked quicker towards the lake. Emerson ran next to me.

    I ran out the door and into the car. I was only 5 years old. Mom followed me, heavily pregnant. She slid into the driver's seat, and drove to Mia's house. I leaped out of the car, not waiting for Mom, and ran inside. Right inside the door was the kitchen. Mia's mom was at the counter making something. She glanced down at me.

"Hello Evelyn." Mia's mom smiled.

"Hello ma'am!" I returned the smile.

"The girls are in Mia's room." Mia's mom patted my shoulder.