Chapter 9: Old Past, Brand New Future

I jumped off the log, and stood next to Hannah. My mind was racing with events that I just heard of, but I forced myself to stay focused on Atlas. Even I knew something must be wrong for her face to look like this.

"Well spit it out Atlas! What's wrong?" Hannah demanded, her tone full of authority, all softness gone.

"You need to come home!" Atlas squeaked nervously.

"Why?" Hannah asked much more gently.

"T-There's something you need to see! F-Follow me!" Atlas stuttered.

Hannah gave her a small nod. Atlas turned around, and disappeared through the trees. Hannah quickly went after her; I followed. Atlas led us a backway through the woods, so we came up just at the shack. We ran inside. Granny and Henry were cuddled on the couch watching the TV. The news was on, I think; it was one of the few channels they got.

"They're doing a missing person thing." Atlas whispered.

".....missing person, Evelyn Adely Anderson...." The reporter said.

I bolted to the TV. A reporter was sitting at a normal news desk.

"And now from words from her parents." The reporter announced.

The screen flashed to my aunt and uncle. They were crying! Crying! I had seen my aunt cry only a few times, but never my uncle. He never cried. They were sitting on a couch. The couch at our house- or my old house. Amelia was leaning her head on her mom's shoulder. Amelia's body shook with sobs. I felt incredibly bad. For Amelia. My used-to-be-parents brought this on themselves.

"Please, Please bring our baby girl back." My aunt cried.

"Do you believe Evelyn was kidnapped or she ran away?" A voice asked.

"O-oh gosh... W-What if someone took her?" My aunt cried harder.

"So you believe someone took her?" The voice clarified.

My aunt didn't say anything, she just got up and left. My uncle followed her, leaving Amelia alone. She talked so quietly, I could barely hear her.

"E-Evelyn..... I-I don't know where you are...... B-But I know your watching this.... P-Please come home sister...." Amelia cried softly.

The news cut out, as it always did. I stood there for a moment, until I got an idea. The whole shack was silent. I darted into the small bedroom, and shut the door before anyone could stop me. I dug through my backpack. My hand grasped my phone. I pulled it out, and opened messages. Hundreds upon hundreds of messages greeted me. All from my aunt, uncle, Amelia, and family members I didn't even know. I scrolled down until I found it. Kylie's contact! And she had messaged me back!

Kylie: Yes, this is Kylie. Who is this? How did you get my contact?

Me: This is Evelyn, or Kayla. I'm pretty sure I'm your biological daughter. I got your contact off my aunt's page. I didn't even know you existed. Is there any way we can meet up? I really want to meet you! What town do you live in?

I sent the message and turned off my phone. If I leave and find Kylie, then no more struggles. I could live with my biological family and be happy. I wouldn't have to worry about hurting anyone, and I won't have to go back to those who lied to me. I tucked the phone back into my bag. I would have to leave as soon as I could. It couldn't be that hard, right?

I heard the door open slightly. I glanced over my shoulder. Hannah slowly creeped in and sat next to me.

"Were they your parents?" Hannah asked softly.

Just a Background Characterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें