Chapter 16: Hotel Rooms

cThe police car pulled up at what I guess was the police station. It was basically just a white building with a thick blue stripe painted across the top. It looked sort of daunting. Were there prisoners in this building right now? Would Mom and Dad be hosted in a building like this? I hope not. I hope they were taken somewhere nicer. They were good people after all. Not just good people, innocent people.

"Ok, here we are kids," Officer Walker said.

"Why we here? Where mommy and daddy?" Calvin piped up, looking insanely nervous.

"Your mommy and daddy did something bad, so they need to be punished," Officer Walker explained blandly.

"What did they do?" Annie asked, looking confused.

"Well, have you kids ever learned about kidnapping? Where an adult takes a little kid?" Officer Walker asked while shooting a glance at them.

Both Annie and Calvin nodded.

"Well that's what your parents did. They kidnapped Evelyn," Officer Walker told them.

"But Evelyn's our sister! You can't kidnap your own kid!!" Annie exclaimed.

"Evelyn's not your sister. She's your cousin," Officer Walker said dully.

"But I'm their biological daughter! That has to count for something!" I insisted suddenly.

Officer Walker stared at me for a second, as if this was new information to him.

"You're Kylie Jones and Joshua Jones biological daughter?" Officer Walker asked for clarification while continuing to stare at me.

I nodded, suddenly feeling hopeful.

"Were you adopted by Caroline Anderson and Aiden Anderson at least?" Officer Walker looked concerned.

"I was adopted, but they never told me about my biological parents!! Isn't that illegal?" I asked, desperate for some way to help my parents.

"If you were legally adopted, then it was perfectly legal for your adopted parents not to tell you about your biological parents," Officer Walker said.

"Legally adopted? Like in front of a court and being registered?" I asked, remembering when Dad told me my adoption process took less than an hour.

"That is how a legal adoption works," Officer Walker responded.

"But that's not how I was adopted!! All they did was sign some papers!! They weren't or aren't registered!!" I insisted.

Officer Walker opened his mouth to say something, but a quick tap on the window stopped him. I looked out the window, and there they were. Caroline and Aiden. Officer Walker quickly got out and opened the back door. Everyone in the backseat quickly piled out.

"Who you?" Calvin asked while staring at Caroline and Aiden.

"I'm your Aunt Caroline, and this is your Uncle Aiden! We're going to take care of you for a while," Caroline exclaimed excitedly.

"What about Mommy and Daddy? When are we going back with them?" Annie asked, looking hurt.

"Maybe soon," Aiden mumbled.

"Thank you Mr and Mrs Anderson for taking Annie and Calvin on," Officer Walker bowed his head ever so slightly.

"Oh, it's no problem! Thank you for finding our Evelyn!" Caroline smiled and placed her hand on my shoulder.

I had to bite my lip to keep myself from shrinking away. I mean seriously, can't this lady keep her grubby hands off me?

"Will you be staying for a few more days? We have to research some more stuff, then you should be free to leave," Officer Walker said quickly.