Chapter 23: The Pride Landers

"Is everyone here?" Simba asked.

"I believe so, sire. Would you like me to fetch the queen?" Zazu offered.

"I think it's best if we give her space," Simba sighed.

"As you wish," the hornbill replied as he landed on the king's shoulder. "Shall we begin?"

The king nodded as he entered the meeting area. All of the herd leaders, as well as the Lion Guard, were already there making small talk, as soon as Simba entered the area everyone went silent. All of the animals bowed their heads to their king before the meeting began.

"Are the rumors true?" Bupu spoke first.

"I'm afraid so, Dhahabu's herd has been slaughtered by the Outsiders," Simba responded.

His words echoed in the silence as the herd took a short moment to mourn the fallen.

"So what do we do know," Vuruga Vuruga asked.

"That's why I called this meeting, we need to decide just that," Simba replied. "We know that the Outsiders consider everyone who supports me as enemies, that means you and your herds are not safe."

"Then we should probably learn to defend ourselves," Ma Tembo suggested.

"I agree. Makuu, do you think you and your crocodiles could teach the other herds some self-defense?" The king asked.

"If I do, what's in it for me?" He countered, clearly not wanting to do what the king had asked.

"You do realize that if we fall to the Outlanders, Kiburi and his float will most certainly kill you," Ma Tembo pointed out. Makuu looked down at the ground as if he was weighing the pros and cons of helping and not helping.

"Fine, the crocodiles will help," he reluctantly agreed.

"Thank you, Makuu. Now we still have a few more things to talk about," Simba reminded.

"You mean like what we are going to do with him?" Makuu growled as he motioned toward Kovu who was sitting next to Kiara. Kovu shied away from the croc as Kira moved to block him,

"Kiara thinks he should stay here instead of returning to the Outlands, and I agree with her," Simba quickly replied.

"Personally, I think we should kill him, he's one of the enemies," Makuu countered.

"He wasn't a part of the group that attacked Dhahabu's herd, plus he could have information," Simba retorted.

"Hm, maybe you're right," the crocodile huffed. "What about...you know who."

"What about Kion?" Ma Tembo asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I thought I made it clear I didn't like that name," Simba grumbled.

"You did, I just find it rather cubish," the elephant replied.

"Are you calling me a cub," Simba asked with a raised eyebrow of his own.

"Of course not, your highness. I am merely stating that I feel not calling Kion by his name is rather cubish," the elephant answered.

"Anyway," Simba said as he cleared his throat. "All we know is that I'm their main target, and we know the Outlanders will stop at nothing to kill me."

"Are any other of the other royal family members also in danger?" Bupu questioned.

"Probably, I doubt Zira wants just me dead," the king answered.

"What will you do?" Laini asked.

"I'm not sure, while I'd like to guarantee the safety of me and my family, we have a kingdom to run and I will not cower while my subjects are fighting a war," Simba replied confidently. "So for now, we will just be cautious."