Chapter 16: Different Yet the Same

Kion finally ended up in the Outlands, it was ironic actually, a place that he used to despise and think the lowest of the low used to live was now the place he was going to seek refuge. He wandered aimlessly through the unfamiliar caverns and canyons of the Outlands, hoping to bump into either Vitani or someone from her pride. He didn't really have a plan, he was just hoping that Zira would give him a place to sleep, at least for the night.

He could see someone moving towards him in the darkness, they were too small to be one of Zira's but too large to not call a predator. Sure enough, the moonlight illuminated the fur of the animal to reveal a grey coat with a purple-ish tint, that combined with a familiar scent, he knew who was in front of him.

"Jasiri," Kion greeted calmly.

"Kion? What are you doing in the Outlands this late? And alone?" She asked, confused.

"I Uh..." he stuttered. He was about to say looking for Zira, but he recalled the watering hole incident and realized he probably shouldn't bring Zira up. "I just need some time away from the Pride Lands," he simply replied.

"And you decided to come to the Outlands?"

"Uh...yes? "

She sighed. "You're a bad liar Kion, you're here for Vitani, aren't you?"

"Well I wasn't necessarily lying earlier, but yeah I am, how'd you know?"

"Heard it from Janja who heard Zira talking about it."

"Oh," was all he could really say, but to his surprise, Jasiri smiled.

"We can't choose who to fall for, but that's half the fun, isn't it," she giggled.

"You have feelings for Janja, don't you?" Kion asked with a raised eyebrow. Jasiri's eyes shot wide open at his question, caught completely off guard.

"I-uh...I mean...." She stammered as Kion calmly waited for a response. The hyena sighed as she knew Kion already had his answer, he just wanted to hear it from her. "Yes, I do."

"Ironic," he said with a smirk.

"What do you mean, Kion?"

Before he could respond, he heard a familiar laugh echo off the surrounding cliffs. He and Jasiri looked up to see Janja and his clan slowly making their way down the steep slopes.

"Is it my already birthday? Cuz what gift I see right in front of me, Kion and Jasiri both trapped and surrounded," he taunted.

"Stay back Janja," Kion growled.

"Or what? You gonna roar at us? There are too many of us for you to roar all of us away," he laughed as his clan bared down on their two targets. He could hear the laughter and taunting of Cheezi and Chungu, mocking him from behind Janja. "Any final words, Kion?"

"Janja," a voice boomed off the cavern walls, stopping  Janja and his crew dead in their tracks. They all watched as Zira and a few lionesses were looking down from where Janja once was. The group of Outsiders quickly made their way down the slope, reversing Janja's group from the surrounders to the surrounded.

"Z-Zira, what are you doing here?" Janja stammered.

"I'm here to get him," Zira replied while motioning towards Kion.

"But I found him on my turf, fair and square," Janja objected. Zira moved closer to the male hyena as she began to growl.

"Do you think I care where your turf ends and where it starts?" Zira growled.

"N-no, you don't," he replied with his ears tucked back.

"Good, I'm glad you understand, now give him up," she demanded. Janja's crew quickly separated, giving Kion a clear path towards Zira. He and Jasiri began walking before Jaisir was quickly halted by Janja.