Chapter 22: Still Our Son

The walk to Dhahabu's watering hole was silent, even Bunga didn't say a word or crack a joke. The night sky had turned cloudy and gloomy, the moon's light barely broke through the cloud barrier. It felt like the mood was being set, and not in a good way.

Everyone was on edge, the news that Dhahabu's entire herd could've been wiped out, by Kion of all animals, was unexpected to say the least. Bunga twiddled his fingers as he rode on Beshte's back. The hippo simply walked with no hint of anything resembling happiness. Fuli, Azzad, and Kiara were doing their best to hide their emotions, but like everyone else, their minds were racing. Kovu's discomfort could be seen from miles away, he was in the center of the group and while it appeared that no one was watching him, he knew very well he was being monitored by Simba who constantly peered over his shoulder.

Nala seemed to be the most distraught out of the entire group. She walked with her head low and with no real hurry to get to her destination. She was still somewhat in denial that her son could be the cause of Dhahabu's hysteria, but it was dawning on her that maybe she would have to do just that. She hoped for the best.

The group seemed to hit an invisible threshold as they walked. When they crossed it, a rancid smell instantly overtook the air. Everyone recoiled from the repulsive smell, some covered their nose while others coughed or dry-heaved.

A short while after the noxious scent was noticed they crossed the small hill that led to Queen Dhahabu's watering. Everyone froze dead in their tracks as they took in the scene. There was only one word that could describe what they saw, a massacre.

The stench was only the beginning. Surrounding the watering hole were numerous amounts of murdered Zebra's. Some of the corpses appeared to be half-eaten, a few were even mutilated and dismembered. The water had been stained a deep blood red.

"I...I don't believe it," Simba mumbled. "This is..."

"Awful," Nala finished quietly, barely audible.

The group just sat there and took in the living nightmare for a moment. No one wanted to go closer, who in their right minds would want too. The king was the first to move towards the watering hole followed closely by his escort.

The smell only got worse the closer they got, it was almost enough to make their eyes water. Flies were already buzzing around some of the remaining carcasses, signs of vultures already passing through could also be seen.

"I've never seen so much death," Kovu said, thinking out loud.

"So many journeys cut short," Kiara replied. "They didn't deserve this, no one does."

"That's where you're wrong, princess," a low voice corrected.

"Come out Makucha, I know that's you," Fuli growled as she jumped to the front of the group.

Sure enough, Makucha jumped down from one of the many trees followed by a few other leopards.

"Fuli, it's always a pleasure," Makucha chuckled.

"Save it, Makucha. What did you do to these Zebra?" Fuli demanded.

Makucha laughed. "Did Dhahabu not tell you? It wasn't a coincidence that she made it out alive."

"What does that mean?" Simba asked as he stepped forward.

"You tell me, your highness," the leopard mocked.

"Did...did Kion really do this?" Nala asked in a restrained manner.

"He wasn't alone, but he was leading them," Makucha replied.

"Kion..." the queen whispered to herself.

"It's time for you to leave, Makucha," Simba growled.