Chapter 12: What's Wrong and What's Right

"So we are all in agreement?" Ma Tembo asked while looking around at the group of animals who had a gathered around her.

"The antelopes agree," Bupu confirmed.

"So do the Galagos," Laini squeaked.

"We think the punishment was extremely harsh," Mbeya spoke as the rhinos behind him nodded in agreement.

"Kion has saved many lives, he definitely deserves better," Hadithi praised with his respective group showing their agreement.

"The rest of the Guard agrees, we think Kion was treated unfairly," Fuli spoke out with the rest of the guard behind her.

"The crocodiles do too, Kion would be willing to fight for us, so we are willing to fight for him," Makuu reasoned. As they went around the group, each and every group of animals agreed that the king's treatment of the prince was unfair, even if he was friends with some of their enemies. The Lion Guard had also explained that Jasiri's clan was different from Janja's clan, they respected the circle of life and would never attack the Pride Lands, which could land them a useful ally. There was still one animal who hadn't spoken, and the rest of the group awaited her response.

"Princess Kiara, we await your response," Ma Tembo told the princess.

"What there to say? I think my father's punishment is unjust as well," Kiara replied quickly.

"But yet, you don't tell the whole story of how you feel," Ma Tembo called out. The princess hesitated as she tried to figure out how to put her feelings into words.

"I guess I just always thought you should support your leader, even if they do make a questionable decision," she finally managed to get out.

"A good follower should challenge their leaders and keep them honest," Makuu explained. "Like with us crocodiles, I may lead, but everyday my float tests my resolve. They make sure I'm still the strongest and fit to lead. In return for proving myself, I call the shots."

"I guess I'm just second guessing this whole thing," she said while looking at the ground.

"Need I not remind you that all this was your idea, princess," Bupu pointed out.

"Yea I know," she sighed. She thought for a second, and she knew Kion needed her help, he didn't deserve that punishment. What would her father say if he found out she also had a friend who was an Outsider? Well, maybe they were a little more than friends, but the point still stood.

"I'm in, my dad is in the wrong, and it's the right thing to do," Kiara finally replied.

"Then it's settled, we will voice our dissatisfaction with King Simba with support from princess Kiara," Ma Tembo finalized. Everyone nodded and headed back to their group's designated areas, all except Ma Tembo who asked Kiara to stay behind.

"How is he?" The elephant asked.

"Not good, he won't be able to walk normally again for a few weeks. He has a concussion, some broken ribs, and two of his paws are either broken or fractured," Kiara explained.

"Is that all?"

"Well," Kiara hesitated as her eyes shifted back and forth, searching for the right words to voice her mind. "He has a look in his eyes, a look I've never seen before. He just glares at our dad all day, sometimes he even glares at me when our dad is giving me lessons, and it kind of scares me if I'm being totally honest."

Ma Tembo sighed deeply, she knew exactly what Kiara was talking about. "Thank you princess, tell Kion I send my regards."

———————————————————————————