Chapter 6: Butterflies

Vitani walked in the dark, the dangers of the Outlands dwarfed by a single thought, the prince of the Pride Lands. She couldn't seem to get him out of her head, though she didn't necessarily want to. The thought of him gave her a feeling she had never felt before, and never thought she'd feel.

'These must be the butterflies you get in your stomach that Kovu was talking about,' she thought sarcastically to herself. Kovu had explained how he felt every time he saw Kiara, butterflies in his stomach was the best way he could describe it. She thought about Upendi, or as Kion had so cleverly figured out, love. Was she even capable of it? Her entire life she was never enough for Zira, especially compared to Kovu. He could do no wrong, and was always right.

Of course she knew he was destined to kill Simba, a task that of course wasn't easy, but she was much more talented and cunning then her brother, so why not her. Maybe because he was born first, or because Scar chose him to be the next in line. Either way, she couldn't deny the fact she loved her brother.

But this was different, Kion was different. She wished he hadn't licked her check, not because she didn't like it, but because it sent her mind into a frenzy. She didn't know exactly what she wanted, but she knew she wanted more of him.

Her thoughts brought her all the way back to the territory her pride had claimed as their home. It was quite late, so many of the lionesses were already asleep. Many, her mother not among one of them.

"Vitani, it's quite late, where have you been?" Zira questioned.

"I was with Kion, you know, getting to know him more," she replied, still thinking about what recently occurred. Zira picked on her cubs distracted expression and decided to probe further.

"And how did...getting to know him go?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. For a second, Vitani thought about lying, not telling her mother what actually happened. But that feeling quickly passed, and she truthfully answered her mother.

"Well, he gave me a lick on the cheek,"'she replied quietly, somewhat embarrassed. A smile instantly made its way onto her face, as she began to laugh. Vitani raised a brow herself , confused as to what's so funny to cause this reaction.

"Well done Vitani, everything is going according to plan," she remarked with a smile. The plan, that's why she was laughing. Vitani had completely forgotten that there was a plan to begin with, she honestly just wanted to spend time with Kion. But clearly, her mother had not forgotten, and seemed to have already plotted out their next moves. "The next part of our plan is simple, bring Kion here, and we'll...show him some
hospitality," she said with that signature grin she had.

"Uhhh, sure mom," she replied hesitantly, which of course, Zira picked up on.

"Don't tell me you actually like him back," she said with a proding expression. Vitani quickly realized the effect he was having on her, and had to quickly hide her true feelings.

"Of course not mother," she replied quickly and confidently. She hoped it would get her mother off her back, and it seemed to do just that.

"Good, remember, Simba killed your father, and he's the one that cast us out. Kion and Kiara are both just part of our plan, and once we've won, we get rid of them," she snarled with a grin.

"Yes mother," she replied quietly. She then made her way into her part of the den, more conflicted then ever. She wanted nothing more than to please her mother, but at the cost of losing Kion? Maybe she didn't actually have feelings for him, and it was just a one time fling and she'd lose feelings in the morning. Then again, maybe she could convince her mother to let him live. But those were problems for later, and after that long day of fun and games, she quickly found herself in a deep sleep.