Chapter 27: The Calm before the Storm

Scar smiled as he watched his guard push the princess of the Pride Lands into the volcano. He knew with her in his possession, the Lion Guard would come to retrieve her. Even with the new additions to their team, he knew they would be no match for his plan.

He motioned for the guard to place her in the middle of the steam vents, but this time he made sure she would stay there. He had ordered Kiburi to guard their prisoner, she wouldn't be leaving anytime soon.

Kiara, sister to Kion.

He pondered what to do with the young male lion. Zira wanted him dead, and he could see why he had betrayed them. But he knew it would be a poor idea to lose the sheer power of the Roar of the Elders. He needed a way to test where Kion's loyalty lied, but how to was the question.

He looked down at Zira who was barking orders at his army, making sure everyone knew their role in the upcoming ambush. They both knew even when faced with insurmountable odds the Lion Guard wouldn't simply roll over and surrender, they would fight until their last breath. He contemplated just killing them outright, but the thought of keeping them as indentured servants for the rest of their lives pleased him all too much.

But Simba would be taking an early trip to the stars with his father, Mufasa. When he was young, Simba was told that all of the great lions of the past joined the stars after they died. While most lions believed it, he thought it was a ridiculous fallacy and a story for naive cubs.

He noticed Kion and Vitani had joined the rest of his army as Zira continued her berating. Vitani had done a wonderful job enticing Kion into their folds, but he began to wonder if she had done so purely because Zira had wanted her to, or because she had actually developed feelings for the fallen prince. Zira was convinced it was all a ruse to keep Kion on their side, he wasn't sure though he'd never raise his opinion to Zira.

He knew where her loyalty was.

He noticed that Kasi had been waiting patiently for his attention, he had been so lost in thoughts he hadn't noticed her.

"Report," his low, booming voice commanded.

"Janja, Jasiri, Cheezi, and Chungu tried to stop us as we cubnapped the princes," the lioness told him.

He let out a short laugh.

"Bold for them to show their faces again, though it was always in Jasiri's nature to resist our movement," he monologued with a smile. "The other three are traitors, and they will be dealt with as such."

"Of course," she replied with a bow before leaving him to his thoughts once again.

He wondered what he would do once he took over the Pride Lands. He was foolish the first time he seized power, he let Simba escape, he allowed the Pride Lands to be turned into a desolate wasteland void of any life. But with this second chance that he was given, he would be sure to not make those mistakes again.

"Scar," he heard Mazingo call out as he flew down and landed in front of him. "The Lion Guard is already on their way, but they seem to be missing Fuli and that other male cheetah."

"Ah, don't you just love it when a plan goes perfect?" He chuckled with a smile. "Kion."

Kion spun around to meet his gaze, a look of weary anticipation preceded his words.

"Yes, Scar?"

"It seems your friends have come to pay us a visit, please do welcome them to our humble abode," he demanded sadistically.

He noticed the frown that the adolescent lion quickly tried to conceal after the orders were given.

"Of course, Scar," he said with a bow before exiting the volcano with his guard.