Chapter 10: Comfrot in Darkness

Kion made his way through the Outlands towards the volcano, his mind replying to recent events over and over.

"Lions over all!"

"Thankful? For what?"

"We will share the watering hole."

"Did you even try Kion?"

He pondered the thought to himself, did he even try? Did he play that situation right? He wished he could make Jasiri understand, if they were even still friends after that. But after the way he snapped, he wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to see him at all.

Why did he snap? He never had that kind of anger before, but it all seemed to just spill over. Did he always carry that kind of anger? He shook his head as he was nearing the volcano, he had to meet...someone. He didn't exactly know who he was supposed to meet, or if he should meet them at all. Regardless of what he thought, here he was at the base of the volcano, he decided he would go through with it, what's the worst that could happen?

"Is that Kion?" A familiar voice taunted from behind. He turned to Janja and the crew behind him, blocking the path he had just previously traveled. "What are you doing so far out of the Pride Lands, cub?"

"I'm not here for you Janja, but I can always make an exception," he growled back as he steadied his stance.

"Not this time Kion, there's too many of us for your roar to blow away," he laughed as he and his crew began advancing forward. Kion took a second glance and realized that for once, Janja might actually be right. He began slowly backpedaling, maintaining the distance between him and the hyenas.

"Leave me alone, Janja. I'm just here for the volcano," Kion stated firmly.

"Why in all of the Pride Lands would you want to go in the volcano?"

"Zira said there's someone in there I should meet."

"Z-zira?" Janja stuttered as he and his clan stopped dead in their tracks. "D-did she send you here?"

"You could say that."

"Ugh...well I guess you can go into the volcano, but make it fast," he replies somewhat nervously. He and his group turned to leave but Janja stopped before before taking off like his group. "I don't know who you're looking for, but you won't find anyone in there," Janja finished before following his clan.

Disregarding what Janja said, Kion continued into the volcano, looking for whoever he should meet. He entered the center of the volcano where a large pool of lava sat below. A rock extended out over the lava pool, rounding out to a point a few yards out over the lava. He looked around and couldn't seem to find anyone, maybe Zira was lying? He walked out over the lava pool and looked down into it. He could feel the immense heat radiating from the orange liquid. A sense of relaxation and comfort washed over him, he felt...warm.

After a few seconds, the lava began bubbling and churning. A column of fire and smoke shot out of the lava, and began to take the shape of a head, a lion's head. It took a few seconds for the head to fully form, but when it did, Kion instantly recognized who was.

"Great uncle Scar?" The lion of fire looked at the cub for a second, taking a second to study him before smiling.

"Kion, how nice it is to finally meet you," Scar said with a grin.

"Why is that?" Kion asked skeptically.

"Because you and I are not so different," he replied.

"You wish Scar, you and I are nothing alike," Kion growled. He turned to leave but stopped after Scar's next sentence.