Chapter 15: Just Can't Wait to be Queen

Kion and Kaira watched as the king, queen, and the lionesses all headed off towards Dhahabu's watering hole. She was having a problem with the Outlanders as well and had lost almost a fourth of her herd in a few days. She requested help from King Simba, and even though she was technically out of his jurisdiction, he decided since she helped him, he'd help her. Simba had left Kiara in charge while he was gone, and he left Zazu behind to advise her.

"Do not worry Princess Kiara, you will do just fine," the hornbill insisted.

"Thanks, Zazu, I'll do my best. So what's up first?"

"Well let's see...you have the giraffes complaining about the taste of the leaves, the baboons are...well, baboons. The crocodiles are running out of fish..." the majordomo continued on as the two made their way down Pride Rock and through the herds.

'It probably wasn't the time to be left in charge,' Kiara finally admitted to herself. But she couldn't let down her father, or the Pride Lands.

They passed the Lion Guard who all had unamused expressions and seemed impatient. Even when Simba and Nala were there, the lion guard had been relegated to the unfortunate position of what she called "servants." They basically ran around helping the herds with any questions or concerns and breaking up the small confrontations here and there.

Kiara could tell that Kion and the Guard had become sick of their new jobs, but hadn't voiced their discontent. It wasn't like Nala and Simba weren't doing their part, quite the opposite, but the Guard was formed to protect the Pride Lands and the circle of life, not become the Pride Lands errand animal.

"...and finally, Bunga apparently isn't finding enough bugs to eat, he says it's affecting his ability to...perform his duties," the bird said with an involuntary shudder. "Did you get all that, your highness?"

"Maybe we can just take things one step at a time?" The princess nervously chuckled, she had accidentally wandered if mentally during Zaza's monologue.

"Proper idea, your highness. Let's start with the giraffes."

————————————————————————

"My goodness, if you keep this pace, we will be done before the sun even begins to set," Zuza said, perched from a tree branch above a small river that Kiara was drinking from.

"Thanks, Zazu, but this is a team effort, I couldn't do it without you," Kiara replied.

"On the contrary my queen, I am just your humble advisor. Ultimately, the decisions are up to you," Zazu countered. "I must say, you'll make a fine queen when you grow older."

"I can't wait," Kiara replied.

"This reminds me of the time your father said he couldn't wait to be king, he even sang about, it ended up with me under a rhino."

"I'm familiar with the song," Kiara said with a smirk.

"I'm gonna be a mighty Queen
So enemies beware."

"Well, I've guess I've seen a queen or beast
With just as little hair."

"I'm gonna be the main event
Like no queen was before
I'm brushing up on looking down
I'm working on my roar."

"Thus far, a rather quite promising thing."

"Oh, I just can't wait to be queen."

"No one saying, do this."

"No one saying, be there."

"No one saying, stop that."

"No one saying, see here."