Chapter 3: Bonds

•••

•••

It had been two days since Irene and Mali arrived in Auckland, New Zealand. Mali was more than thrilled. She was all excited, eager to see everything in he city. Irene had to tell her multiple time to calm down so people would ignore them. They couldn't afford anyone to notice them. The more people don't see them, the better they would be. They had to blend in. It was hard at first, but Mali did the best she could to contain her energy.

"Why can't we go out in daylight?" Mali asked, lied on her bed, facing the whiteness of the ceiling.

"The sun is bright here. If I go out, people will know I'm not human," Irene explained, not looking up from her black diary.

Since she left Forks, she stated to write down the course of her journey. Where she goes, what she had seen, what marked her. It helped her forget the reason she left. It helped her focus on other things. Beside, it would be a good way to remember thing in a few years. It would be good stories to tell. Only if she find someone to tell them.

"What happen if you are exposed to sunlight? Do you burn?" Mali asked. Irene couldn't help but giggled. Almost everything people knew about vampires were false. It was funny to read all the untrue descriptions you could find on the Internet.

"We don't burn under the sunlight. We don't transform ourselves into bats and we can see our reflection into the mirror. But our skin glitter under the sun. All of us have special abilities, some even supernatural, " Irene said. "Don't believe everything you find on the internet, Mali,"

"What are you powers, though?" Mali asked, straightening her posture, standing on her elbow. "You could manipulate that red mist,"

"That is called psionic energy," Irene said, closing her diary. She turned to face Mali and covered her hand with red mist. "I can manipulate it to attack or defend myself. Or manipulate people's mind or see what they think of,"

"So cool," Mali whispered, admirative. "And you said every vampire has ability?"

"Yeah. For some, it is just their strongest characteristic from their human life that is enhanced. For example, on of my brother was the strongest man that could exist. With some others, that strong characteristic become supernatural when vampire," Irene explained as Mali nodded all along.

"Do you come from a vampire family?" Mali asked.

"We can say that," Irene shortly said, turning away.

"What are they like?" The young shifter asked, interested in the life of who she considered as a new friend.

"The sun is setting," Irene changed the subject. She stood up and walked over the window. "We will be able to go outside soon,"

It was easy to understand for Mali that family was a touchy subject for Irene. Back in the plane two days ago, when the vampire was telling her some of her adventures, Mali noticed that Irene lived all of them with her brother. Tony was his name. But Irene never actually talked about him. She never described him, never told her what he was like. But every time Irene would pronounce his name, Mali would notice her eyes being filled with a deep sadness. Mali wondered if Tony was dead or if they parted ways in bad terms.