Chapter 21: Ever After

•••

•••

"A child?" Irene frowned.

The young girl seemed around five. She was small and tiny, but terrorised and horrified. Irene could feel it. The girl looked at both Irene and Edward. She then rushed to find refuge with Irene. The latter was at first surprised. She didn't expect that at all. The child was crying and holding onto Irene for dear life. Irene was quick to regain her sense and crouch down, tenderly hugging the child.

"Hey," she soothed. "It's okay now," she reassured.

"Can you tell me your name?" Irene gently asked.

"Mia," the girl muttered.

"What a beautiful name," Irene softly said. "My name is Irene,"

"It's a pretty name too," the child muttered.

Irene smiled and caressed her head. She the exchanged a glance with Edward. Both of them were wondering what happened. Why that little girl was alone in the middle of the night? Why was her clothes were covered with blood? What the hell happened? And who was that girl? Her scent was strange? She smell like a vampire yet there was hint of beast blend with it. She wasn't human. Both Irene and Edward wondered if the child did something unforgivable. They wondered if she was some sort of child vampire.

"I'll see what happened," Edward said then disappeared.

Irene looked down at the child. She gently patted her hair, reassuring her. By the seconds, the child started to calm down. Her cries became sobs, and her sobs them died down. The child slightly looked up at Irene. She then wrapped her arms around her neck and snuggled her head into the crook of her neck. Irene couldn't help herself but slightly smile at the child then hugged her tightly. She was more than just scared.

"We got a problem," Edward said, stressed, as he came back.

Irene frowned.

"What? What happened?"

"Three deaths," Edward said. "Two shifters, one female, one male. And one vampire,"

"They fought?" Irene concluded.

"Most likely," Edward nodded. His eyes then moved to the child. He smiled a little. "She's like Renesmee. She has a heartbeat,"

"And yet she smell like a vampire," Irene conclude.

"And a shifter," Edward added. "The vampire and the female sifter have claws wounds. The male shifter must have not liked their relationship,"

"So he attacked them," Irene continued. "But they fought back. None came out alive. Except this child,"

"She must be the female shifter's and the vampire's child," Edward said. "I'll get rid of the vampire corpse. We cannot risk human to find out about us. I'll try to cover the scene as much as I can,"