Chapter 20: Reality

•••

•••

The sun was softly creeping through the translucid white moving curtains. The atmosphere was light, dreamy, peaceful. Irene, dressed in a white immaculate long dress was on a chair. Her long loose hair was slightly moving to the little fresh breeze that was coming from the open windows. A tender smile on her lips, she fondly gazed at the innocent baby in the arms, balancing her left to right. Suddenly, Irene felt a hand placing itself on her shoulder. Edward bent down to kiss her head, then the head of the baby. Irene had never felt so happy, so completed. She had a family-

"Irene," she heard Edward called.

The red glow in Irene's eyes slowly disappeared. Sat by the window, she turned to look at her husband. Edward's was shirtless, hair still wet and sticking on his forehead. He must have just finished showering. However, a scowl was covering his face. He wasn't looking pleased but wasn't angry either. His unpleasantness was more of a worrying type.

The male vampire walked over to his wife and took her hand in his, slightly pulling her so she would stand up, which she did. Edward stared at Irene sorrowful for a moment.

"Don't do that," he breathed. "Don't dive into another reality,"

Irene averted her eyes from eyes. Edward saw what Irene was thinking off. He read her mind when he saw her staring blankly through the window. He knew what she was doing: putting herself into another reality. A reality she could control, where she could decide the course of destiny when everything she wanted was possible. Irene was doing that from time to time.

"It can be dangerous," Edward said.

Edward never liked it. He was afraid she would be too attached to the reality she created. He was scared she wouldn't be able to distinguish what was true from what was not. He feared she would believe the illusion and live in lies.

"I know," Irene muttered. "But it's the only way I have to have what I can't get. As a vampire, I cannot have children. But with my gift, I can. This is the closest I can get to be a mother,"

"But what if you end up blocked into this other reality?" Edward stressed. "What if you end up trapped into your own body?"

"It won't happen," she reassured.

"You cannot be sure. Your gift is powerful. The reality you create is so lifelike you are easily mistaken. What if you lose control? What if you forget you are in an alternate reality?"

"I master my gift now," Irene affirmed.

"Don't you trust me?" She then asked, quite hurt by Edward suspicious. Then a painful thought crossed a mind. "Are you scared of me?"

Edward widened his eyes at her questions. That wasn't what he meant at all. He didn't want to make her feel this way.

"That's not what I meant," he sincerely said. He reached for her hands but Irene stepped back. Edward felt a stab in his heart. He didn't want to hurt her. He never was. And he hated himself for doing that.