Chapter 5: Red liquor

•••

•••

Flame were dancing, coloring the small place surrounded by trees with red, orange and blue. The remaining pieces of the trackers' bodies were burning, turning to ashes and making their way to the underground world.

Irene placed the last stone on the pile, just where the small body of Mali was buried. A tomb. Irene wanted to gave her a proper farewell before leaving. Irene's eyes never left the grave. Her heart, her soul, her entire being never ache this much since the massacre of the Argence coven. The pain is the same. The guilt is the same. It wouldn't have happened if Irene wouldn't have accepted Mali to come. She would be alive, in Thailand. She would be breathing, her heart beating. She now, she was not. Her soul had left her body and she was with her parents, up in the sky, in heaven.

"All because of me," Irene whispered to herself.

After a moment, she kissed her fingers and pressed them against the grave.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

The blonde vampire stood up, took her bag and left. The mind blank, the heart empty, she made her way towards the town. Where would she go now? She couldn't stay in Malaysia anymore. She could go back to Russia. It had been a long time since the last time she laid a foot there. And it wasn't too close with Volterra. Mali would've love Russia. It's really beautiful. But she could never see it. She didn't even have the time to live that she was already gone. Because of Irene. Because she was close to Irene she died. The Volturi, again, took someone she cares for. And they would do it again, and again, and again. That is why she couldn't go back to the Cullen, to her beloved twin brother, to her precious mate, Edward. She was stuck in a life of wandering, of loneliness. And that, for the eternity. She was sentenced to be alone for the rest of her immortality. The Volturi would never stop. Not until she join them.

Maybe she should go to Volterra.

"Should I?" She thought.

If she joins the Volturi, her family would be safe. They would never hurt them. But she would be Aro's puppet. She would be under his order, doing everything he asks. She would become the monster she everyone feared. She would become like them. Heartless, with no mercy, no pity.

"If they get us, they all would have died for nothing," she remembered Tony said, before Léon died.

Even when he was there, physically with her, Tony was always with her, guiding her. If Irene joins the Volturi, Eleanor, Octave, Léon, Marie, Arthur, Clémence, Charles, Adélaïde, Louis, Jeanne and Mali would have all died in vain, for nothing. She couldn't be with the Volturi. She couldn't. For them all, the Argences and Mali, she couldn't.

"Please... I'm begging you, please," Irene heard someone sobbed. She hadn't even noticed that she was wandering in the town. The streets were empty and a few cars were passing by. The sky was dark, pitch black. No moon, no stars. The streets were enlightened by lamps post.