Twenty Three

Zaire woke with a start, shooting up into a sitting position. He regrets the action immediately, pain blossoming in his abdomen. He presses his hand against the area, gasping when he notices the condition of his body.

He was clean, the smell of fresh floral soaps and oils clung to his body. He could finally see his pale skin that had long since been hidden by the dirt that caked his body from years of not being able to bathe. He felt so much better, not having that layer of grime over his body.

Raising a hand to his hair, he feels at the now silky strands. No longer was his hair a matted mess, restored to its former glory. He forgot how good it felt to be clean. Not a spec of dirt in sight.

He shivers at the thought of someone cleaning him while he was asleep. He was confused as to where he was. He was situated in a small room, a bed and a tray with some medical equipment were the only other objects in the room with him.

How did he get here? Where was 'here'? Who cleaned him? Where were his pups? Questions upon questions tumbled around in his brain, making his head pound with a migraine. He winces as he shifts his position on the bed, being reminded of the pain in his abdomen.

He lifts his garments to reveal stitches all along the underside of his belly. His stomach was flat again, like how it was before he had gotten pregnant. That sight alone made him panic, his eyes wide with fear.

At that moment, the door to the small room creaks open, revealing an omega dressed in the most expensive, intricate-looking garments he'd ever laid eyes upon. A blue jeweled crown sat atop the omega's head, signifying royalty of some sort. It was rare to see an omega in such a high position of authority.

He looked young enough to be Zaire's age with deep black hair and light hazel eyes. He had such a calming aura around him that Zaire couldn't help but feel at ease.

"Good, you're awake," The omega says, walking over to the side of the bed. Zaire cast his eyes downwards, a sign of submission to royalty.

"How are you feeling? You must be confused, but fear not, you are safe here. When you were wounded your amniotic sac was punctured so doctors in Abingora were forced to deliver your pup early. She is underweight but other than that, her lungs are fully developed and her heart beats strong. She wouldn't have survived if you'd given birth alone. You and your children were transported to the Northern Isle after all your wounds were treated. Our medicines and mixtures were the only things keeping your daughter alive during her first few hours after birth. She is in a stable enough condition to be without additional care. Would you like to see her now?"

Zaire, in shock, nods his head once in confirmation. The omega smiles sweetly, placing his hand onto Zaire's shoulder.

"A wet nurse is bringing her to us now. You weren't able to produce any milk to feed the pup so we assigned Eve, the nurse, to feed her whenever she is hungry. At least until you can produce enough milk to take care of her on your own."

"T-thank you, Your H-highness," Zaire murmurs, his hands shaking at his sides.

His pup was alive. She survived. Zaire holds back a sob as he silently thanks the Moon Goddess over and over again for sparing his pup. For allowing her to live.

Soon enough, there is a knock on the door. His Highness permits entrance and the door is opened. Two little pups scurry into the room first, heading straight for Zaire.

"Mama," The youngest one cries out, struggling to climb the bed to reach his mother.

Zaire lets out a sob, calling out to his children. The pups are lifted onto the bed by the omega, as soon as their little feet touch the silken sheets, they rush towards their mother throwing their arms around his neck.