Twenty Six

Ambrose sat in his bed, glaring at the figure who had entered the room only minutes before. Neither said a word, only stare into each other's eyes. Ambrose was silently fuming, now directing his gaze at the bundle in the man's arms.

Magnus averts his eyes feeling the full weight of intense fury in Ambrose's cold, scrutinizing glare. The guilt of what he had done hitting him heavily.

"Ambrose, please, before you-,"

"You fucking kept her?!" Ambrose yells, startling the small pup, making her whimper. "What part of fucking get rid of her did you not understand?!"

"I couldn't just toss her to the side as you wanted me to! This is a living, breathing pup! Your pup, no less! The last thing you told me that night was to get her away from you, you didn't specify what I needed to do with her. You instructed me to do with her whatever I saw fit! You can't get upset with me for complying-,"

"I'm not... upset," Ambrose sighs, frustrated. "I'm not... I-, What if Johnathan came back for her? What if he found Senna? What would he have done if he took her away from you?"

"I would never let that happen," Magnus says, holding the pup closer to his chest.

"But what if he somehow got to her? He could have tortured her or killed her! Out of all the times you could have chosen to disobey me! You knew that I didn't want her near me! You should have brought her to a family who could provide for and love her! Now she's familiar with your scent and will become attached to you! Goddess, why must you do this to me?!"

"But I thought you wanted her back! That boy who you came to the palace with, Zaire, he said that you cried out for your daughter. You called out to her, wept for her! Why would you do that if you didn't want her back in your life?"

"I was in fear of her safety! I can still fear for the life of another without-,"

"But Ambrose, she's your daughter!" Magnus cuts him off, his voice wavering as he clutches onto the pup.

Ambrose pauses to calm his breathing, his cheeks flushed red with anger. He thought things had been going well for him and his mate. They'd talked for hours the previous night, laying in the comfort of each other's arms. They shared tender kisses and whispered promises of their future together. But Magnus had to bring Senna back to the palace...

"I want her gone," Ambrose says, making Magnus flinch. "And this time I want proof that you brought her to a home that's willing to take her."

"Ambrose, please don't-,"

"Magnus. I have made my decision. I refuse to keep this child, so please-,"

"Your eyes are lovely," Magnus interrupts, making Ambrose's eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"My eyes... what? What nonsense are you spewing out now, Magnus?"

"Your eyes are lovely," Magnus says, approaching the bedside. "Your sweet, darling eyes pull me in every time you look at me. And I can't help but fall for you more and more each day. And when I look into Senna's eyes... I fall deeper in love with her as well. Looking at her... makes me yearn to be her father. To nurture and care for her. To love her. There's nothing more in this world that I want than to be your mate, Ambrose. But... is it so bad for me to want this child as well? For us to be a family?"

Ambrose tried to find his voice but he couldn't. He observed the way Magnus held Senna, with great care and caution. He cradled the back of her head for support, his other arm tucked under her bottom to keep her from falling.

Magnus carefully slides into the bed beside Ambrose, settling back against the pillows. With one hand he situates Senna so she lay comfortably on his lap. His other arm wraps around Ambrose's shoulders, pulling him close to his body.