Twelve

Ambrose is awoken by a gentle shove to his shoulder. He startles awake, bolting up into a sitting position. He cries out as his forehead connects with Magnus'.

"Oh, be careful, Little Rose," Magnus says, reaching up and touching Ambrose's forehead. Rubbing the area gently. "Are you hurt?"

Ambrose, stunned by the genuine concern in Magnus' eyes, fails to respond to his question. His bright hazel eyes lock onto leafy green ones, his breath hitching.

"Are you alright? Master?"

Ambrose blinks, his hand reaching up to touch his forehead. The skin was pink, and it throbbed lightly. But it was nothing to be upset over.

With his healing delayed greatly due to the absence of his wolf, the light pink mark would be present for a longer period of time.

"I-," Ambrose pauses, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth.

Was he alright?

His backside was still sore, and his throat was no better. The strain caused by his cries of agony from the week prior made his throat raw. A burning feeling occurring every time he spoke or swallowed.

Johnathan had brought Ambrose back to the palace over a week ago. He left almost immediately, briefly mentioning an opportunity to travel to a foreign country.

Once again, Johnathan opted to leave right after he caused Ambrose another bout of unimaginable pain.

Ambrose was glad to see Johnathan leave. Surely, he would be gone for an unseen amount of time. Giving him the perfect chance to collect his thoughts and think of a solid plan to rid himself of Johnathan. A plan that involved keeping his friends and family out of harm's way.

Ambrose could barely remember the details of what Johnathan had done to him. Large chunks of his memory seemingly lost in the far corners of his mind.

Ambrose knew that what happened to him was terrible. Something that no one would want to be put through in their lifetime. But he didn't feel any different. It was strange.

Ambrose didn't feel particularly upset, but he wasn't exactly bursting with joy either.

It was like he was numb to any emotion.

But Ambrose was out of harm's way, for now, making him the most relaxed he'd been in a long time.

So was he alright?

For now, he would be.

"I'll be alright," Ambrose says finally, glancing back up at Magnus. He smiles, placing his hand onto Magnus' cheek.

"I'm alright," Ambrose repeats, stroking Magnus' cheek. "Thank you for asking. You've always been so kind to me."

Magnus' brows furrow, his head tilting in confusion. Ambrose was being especially affectionate, his cheeks alight with a pink blush. He was acting so different from how he usually acted around him.

Magnus pauses at the feel of Ambrose's soft palm caressing his skin. He was shaking slightly, the small tremors almost unnoticeable. But since their skin was in contact with one another, Magnus could feel the way Ambrose's hand shook.

"Master... how about we go for an outing today? I will take you wherever your heart desires."

Magnus could feel that something wasn't right with Ambrose. Instead of prying, he wanted to take Ambrose's mind off of whatever was bothering him.

He knew that if he asked him what was wrong, Ambrose would only evade his questions or demand him to never mention it again.

Ambrose gasps, his eyes brightening. He pulls his hand from Magnus' cheek, bringing both hands to his own face. A genuine smile takes over his features, making Magnus' lips turn upwards ever so slightly.