━ eight, the freak who ruined christmas

FREAK
act one, chapter eight
. . . .

VIOLA WINCHESTER
1991
. . . .

𝗩iola and James were arguing again. But this time, not about who had children and who was a coward. No, they were arguing about a Christmas gift. Viola wanted to give Severus something simple for Christmas, as she didn't know what he like so she had settled on a quill and a book on Quidditch. ❨ As a few nights back she had latched into a long explanation of why James was a great captain but she was a better Seeker and would've been a phenomenal Chaser and he just stared at her as though she was speaking some other language. ❩ But James was adamant that she gives him a bottle of shampoo or gift him a toothbrush and Viola wasn't having any of his stupid jokes today.

"Really James, just stuff it!" She growled at him, and she saw his eyes widen and next thing she saw, James was ducking and a plate shattered against the wall. "I ━ I'm sorry, are you alright James?!" Viole knelt down by his side and James waved her off.

"I'm fine." He assured her before he stood up and noticed Viola's frown and he sighed before he engulfed her in a hug. "You're too good for him Viola. I don't want him to hurt you. I've lost everyone in my life and I just can't loose you too."

"Hey, no need to worry Prongs, he doesn't like me so, buckle up Mister, you're stuck with me!" Viola chuckled lightly, feeling some type of pang hit her heart and she clutched James close, refusing to let go. "I'm hopeless James."

"No, you're not. I'm hopeless." James sternly told her and he smiled when a smile crept up her face. "Now run along, go give Snivellous his present ━ still sad it isn't shampoo, imagine his embarrassment!" His chuckle died down the minute a knife whirled past him and he cleared his throat.

"See! I am hopeless! I'm never going to be able to control whatever this weird thing is!" Viola cried out, falling back unto her bed and James joined her. "I'm not just hopeless, I'm a freak, a hopeless, weird freak who can't even tie her shoelaces without falling flat on her ass."

"It makes you special Viola, really. You're not like the other women, who would let other people die so the could save their own skin." James smiled again at her. "Unlike Marlene, who literally threw Pete in front of her so she could run away."

"That was rather cowardly of her." Viola laughed a little. "Do you think that Remus will ever try to contact us? Me at least? Since he thinks you're dead?"

James sighed, wrapping an arm around Viola as she snuggled closer. "I really don't know, if he wanted to, he could've done it years ago."

"You're right ━"

"As per usual." James finished off, a grin on his face and he let out an oof when Viola smacked his chest and he chuckled. "When I woke up, seeing Lily dead and Harry crying, I wished that I could turn back time, then save my wife and our son but this overwhelming feeling to just disappear came over me and once I sent Harry to his aunt's, that's what I did, I disappeared, literally."

"I'm sorry James, I really am. I'm really sorry I left early that night because I had too much firewhiskey, maybe if I had stayed ━"

"Hey, hey now, the only person to blame for my wife's death would be me. I didn't uphold to my vows, I didn't fight until the end, I just disappeared."

"I'm sorry I called you a coward James, I didn't mean to, I was just angry and I said things I didn't mean at all. It was wrong of me to call you that when you've faced more horrors than me and it wasn't my place to tell you how to parent Harry ━"

"It's fine Viola, you were telling the truth, I should tell Harry that I'm here and I should apologize for yelling at you and saying those awful things. You'd make a splendid mother, that I know."

"Thanks James." Viola hummed and she swore she's never been this happy since she lost everyone she loved.

. . . .

𝗩iola gasped as she sprung up, drenched in sweat and she sighed. Eversince she's been here, she hasn't got any nightmares, except for that weird riddle thing Trelawney had told her. The dream was yet again about it, as Viola really wanted to crack it. She needs to know who will manipulate her, she just has to know. If James will protect her and Quirrell will kill her or everyone, who will manipulate her? She knows for a fact that it won't be Severus, he may be a dick towards everyone else but he's honestly the kindest soul to exist, except her friends. ❨ Yes, even Sirius Black was kind once, until the power turned him evil. ❩

James was beside her, snoring and she sighed, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and she quietly made her way to the bathroom. James had his own room but he spent half of his time here and Viola didn't really mind, especially now that they made up.

"Control yourself Viola," She hissed at her reflection in the mirror. "You're no longer that dumb eleven year old ━ okay, maybe you're still dumb but you're not eleven anymore." She ran a hand through her blonde hair and grinned. "You know what reflection? You're right! I may be dumb but I'm not eleven, I'm turning thirty two next month!" She chuckled lightly. "And I might be going crazy. Nice talk."

James was still asleep when she went out, ready for the day despite her clock reading 05:57. It was Christmas Eve and she's going to try and make the best of it, even if she's sure she was somewhat insane. She first went down the kitchen, where she ate her breakfast wordlessly and after that, she slowly made her way around the castle, greeting the awake portraits and occasionally shouting at one so it could wake up.

When lunch rolled around however, it seemed as though her good spirits just somehow died. There were a few students who were staying, the Weasleys, Harry, Cedric, Oliver and a few others she didn't know by name and Dumbledore had politely refused to let her conjure up a record player. But that wasn't why she was upset. She was upset because she hadn't seen Severus the entire day and it hurt her.

"Miss Winchester, please, just cheer up." Madam Pomfrey begged when a cup missed the Christmas tree by millimeters and Viola sighed. What's the point of cheering up if Severus wasn't here to cheer her up?

"Just call me Viola, Poppy, and I can't cheer up. Thanks for the suggestion though." She said, gloom in her voice and Madam Pomfrey sighed.

"Come into my office later tonight, I think I might be able to help you control your condition." She smiled at the blonde, who responded with a little sigh.

"There's no use Poppy." She cried out, exasperated. "I'm just h ━"

"Stop calling yourself hopeless dear." Madam Pince added, cutting through her fruit cake. Everyone had gotten used to Viola calling herself hopeless. "You're way more worth than that, and deep down, you know it."

Viola wasn't swayed at all. "Thanks Irma, I'll keep that in mind."

Beside her, Madam Pomfrey let out a shrill scream and Viola immediately snapped out of her pity party, ready to help her. "Viola, please cheer up! You'll ruin the Hall!"

And right there, in the corner of the hall, was a candle being thrown against the tree and just like that, it caught fire and Viola gasped. She needed to get out of here before she causes more havoc. It seemed as though everyone at the staff table had the same idea and quickly told her to leave before she ruins the Hall and she practically ran out of there, noticing that the green tablecloth of Slytherin caught on fire.

Once she was sure she was alone and far from everyone who could possibly die because of her, she plopped down on the floor, back hitting the wall and she slightly winced.

"I am hopeless and why everyone bothers, is a mystery." She whispered to herself, sighing and used her hands as a pillow before she let out the tears that had been forming.

. . . .

authors note. so I'm going to do a thing you all will hate but I like it so,, um sorry??