━ eleven, the tired of life freak

FREAK
act one, chapter eleven
.   .   .   .

VIOLA WINCHESTER
1992
.   .   .   .

𝗠aybe avoiding Severus was quite childish of her but Viola didn't care. She still helped him in class, silently admiring him when he would teach, watching him when he'd brew certain potions and for some reason, even though what happened three weeks ago hurt, her feelings skyrocketed when on her birthday, he approached her, James beside her. All the staff at Hogwarts knew that James Potter was still alive but none told his son as James wanted to do that himself. If James hadn't been there, Viola would've bolted but she didn't, knowing that she should just toughen up. After all, she's supposed to be brave.

"Potter." Severus greeted James, malice in his eyes and Viola still felt her heart flutter. "Viola." The man greeted her, malice disappearing and his voice soft towards her and Viola's heart gave a jolt.

"Snape." Viola elbowed James.

"Hi Sev." Viola replied in a whispered tone, trying to hide her red cheeks and she looked down at her booted feet, kicking the ground. "I ━ um ━ sorry for avoiding you, I was ━"

"Viola, you have nothing to apologize for." Severus assured her and reached into his pocket. "I just wanted to say happy birthday." He pulled out a rectangular box, covered in in blue velvet fabric and Viola smiled when she took it, her fingers brushing against his and a frisson of goosebumps traveled up her arm and down her spine.

"Thanks Sev." She whispered before tugging at James' arm, silently telling him that it's time that they went and before they did leave, she sneaked a look at Severus, who was smiling to himself and Viola's heart gave a jolt.

Her happiness didn't last as long as she thought because soon, the O. W. L. S and N. E. W. T. S rolled in and she had to help a few students with studying and revising.

She collapsed on her bed one evening when she arrived in her room, hours after helping Percy Weasley and Penelope Clearwater revise for Transfiguration and Viola didn't see the point of doing that, as they were both extremely smart.

"Rough day?" James asked from where he sat, amused and he crawled towards her, lying next to her and Viola groaned when the four leafed clover Severus gifted her dug into her skin and she turned over, lying on her back.

"Yeah, your son asked me if I knew what Fluffy was hiding under the trap door." Viola sighed. "I told him it was package Hagrid brought and he ran off like he had connected the dots to something."

"Viola! That's Harry! He's got a knack for trouble! Remember the troll?!"

"He called me cool!" Viola defended herself. "Now hush, I want to sleep." She said, already halfway asleep and James only sighed, going back to his book.

.   .   .   .

"𝗩iola?"

The blonde jerked awake. "Huh?! I'm up!" She muttered, rubbing her eyes and her focused on Madam Pomfrey and Severus. When did they get here? Then it hit her. She was helping Severus with the seventh years but she was so tired so she told Brady Kelps that she was just going to close her eyes for a little while. Viola looked around, groaning when she saw that Brady was standing there, covered in boils and that she herself also had boils cascading down her arms. "Fuck!" Viola cried out.