━ ten, the freak who let the bodies hit the floor

FREAK
act one, chapter ten
.   .   .   .

VIOLA WINCHESTER
1992
.   .   .   .

𝗧here were two problems with the party this year. One, no marauders. Two, Barnett Winchester invited everyone he knew, which included Severus Snape. Viola was sober this time when she spoke to him, trying the hide her evident blush with her hair though she didn't have much luck with that, as she had asked Colleen to style her tonight. ❨ The biggest mistake ever. ❩

"Nice party." Severus said to her and Viola smiled awkwardly, debating on whether she should just consume the muffins Barnett baked so she could get the courage to kiss Severus once again or just stand next to him and smile like an idiot. She chose the latter of course.

"Aunt Maya likes it when it's her turn to throw the party, but truth is, we all do." Viola mumbled behind her glass of whiskey and she took a tiny sip before looking down at her feet. Colleen had forced her to wear the pair of shoes Maya gave her, which were silver stilettos. Viola didn't mind dressing up, but she didn't necessarily like it like Maya did or Colleen did.

"I can see why." He nodded and Viola bit down on her bottom lip. The voice of James Potter suddenly floated in her head, urging her to channel her inner Gryffindor but Viola pushed it away. It's no use anyway, Severus won't ever like her in that manner. They've just become such great friends and she doesn't want to ruin that with her stupid feelings that just go away or her very explicit dreams.

"I need another glass, anything to drink for you?" Viola turned to Severus, daring herself to look into his dark yet welcoming eyes and her eyes involuntarily moved towards his lips. When Severus smiled, she averted her eyes, looking at Maya and Dale, who were dancing and a tiny smile grew on her face. Dale was Maya's brother, meaning he was Viola's uncle and he was the best, even though he was slightly annoying and just here all the time.

"Oh no, my glass is still full." Severus replied, holding up his glass and Viola frowned but she quickly replaced it with her shit eating grin and told him that she'd be right back.

At the table, she saw Barnett and she walked up to him, her glass now full to the brim with firewhiskey. He was talking to some brunette, who Viola didn't know but pushed away just to get time with her cousin.

"That was rude Vi, I told Nini, who's my girlfriend, that we'd spend the night together." Barnett sighed and Viola rolled her eyes at her cousin.

"Don't care, do you have any of those muffins you baked?"

"Nope, gave my last two to Maya and Dale." Barnett explained with a shrugged and Viola frowned. "What's wrong Vi? You know you can tell me everything."

She bit her lip again, staining her teeth with her nude lipstick. "I ━ uh ━ just wanted to taste your amazing baking?" Barnett raised a brow. "Fine! I have a crush on Severus but I know he won't like me back because who would ever like me? And last time I kissed him when I ate that blondie and I was hoping for the same results this time round." Viola sighed, sniffing and Barnett was the one who frowned this time.

"Viola, stop being so hard on yourself." He smiled at her, nudging with his elbow. "Even if he doesn't like you, I'm sure there's a guy out there who does."