Chapter 22-Inner Beast

A roar was heard as many in the camp yelled upon recognizing their former hero. Whether it was a positive or negative loudness, none could tell, but with little time people began asking their questions in a riotous manner, and the words spoken were so mixed none could differentiate who was saying what. After a few seconds of this, Chiron calmed the arising storm. "ENOUGH!" The centaur bellowed, in a tone that demanded immediate subordination. The campers took a few seconds, but all of them were quiet in some time. The tension could be cut with a knife, as the campers seemed to be unable to sit still as they swayed side to side, some of them nervous, some seeming either angry or very reserved, and a few, namely the children of Aphrodite, already finding Percy immensely attractive, in spite of seeing only his face, no more no less.

Chiron collected his thoughts, and if one listened closely enough to his tone, an edge of joy seemed to be heard within it. "Ladies and gentlemen, it seems that the prophesized hero has return to us, and despite heavy costs, I feel this should be encouraging in a way." As he finished speaking, he leaned close to Percy, talking low so nobody could hear. "Thank you, my boy, for coming back. It is truly heartening to see my personal favorite demigod reappear from where I thought he may be no more." This earned a smile from Percy, and his expression showed some careful joy, a result of being complimented by his favorite mentor and a practical father of his own. Being shown favoritism was so rare by Chiron, he savored the few words he was given. "Anyhow, I hope you will all respect Percy like he has earned, and be more cautious in not losing him this time. The respect shown by the present goddess should really speak for itself." A small grin adorned Artemis' face after Chiron said those words. She didn't mean to like Perseus as much as she did, but it seemed that the man had outdone all her expectations for males. He deserved her friendship as much as, if not more, than any of her huntresses. For the first time ever, she would gladly fight tooth and nail to keep a man happy.

After a few more seconds, Chiron managed to close out the meeting and send everyone back to their cabins, as time apparently flew when two camps, Hunters of Artemis, and a forsaken hero meet one another. The campers did all leave, at least the Greek ones, save for Annabeth, with some grumbling. The Romans simply stood and waited for Chiron's guidance, and Percy didn't consider himself a part of Camp Half-Blood anymore. Artemis beckoned her hunters to go to their respective cabin, and only Thalia stayed along with Zoe. For a few moments, nothing was said. But with enough time, the Romans spoke up. "Where would you like us to go, Chiron? We can build a temporary shelter wherever is most proper." Reyna asked, gesturing to the legion as she did so. Her words seemed to snap the centaur out of whatever state he was in and he considered the statement. "I think you should go ahead and stay a fair distance from the cabins. The Greeks are rather unpredictable as of recently. Maybe consider going beside the Big House, or just scout a location of your choosing. I'm just fine with you going wherever." Reyna nodded in acknowledgement and walked off with purpose, her legion marching behind her. She did stop to hug Percy however, a show of affection that made Zoe avert her eyes, a little bit of jealousy showing. Annabeth was much the same, as her face darkened ever so slightly, causing her to glare at the ground with plenty of force, like she was trying to split it open with a look.

Chiron chuckled as he glanced at her, before looking at the two remaining hunters. His eyes widened comically as he beheld Zoe, a girl he had thought was all but gone. Even she got over her previous emotion and laughed at his face, and Thalia did the same just beside her. The centaur seemed to be rather worried for a few moments, before Percy decided to talk. "Yes Chiron, as a matter of fact, that is indeed Zoe. I'd say you can hug her or shake her hand or something, but she is as aggressive as ever, unfortunately." He winked at Zoe as he said this, but Artemis still attempted to swat him, and he was only saved by a well-timed lean back. Zoe blushed slightly, but had enough dignity to glare at Percy regardless. Chiron composed himself, before raising an eyebrow at the former Hesperide. She was still giving Percy the best evil eye she was capable of. Percy carefully crept behind Artemis, who was in her 18 year old form, as was more common for her when dealing with large groups of people. "Artemis, hide me. Zoe seems a little threatening." Percy said in a loud whisper, taking cover behind the goddess who laughed rather hard in answer. Chiron's jaw nearly dropped at the interaction between the maiden goddess and son of Poseidon. No male could ever dream of standing that close, much less making a joke with Artemis. In fact, he was able to go as far as to say her name without any title before it, an honor reserved for her hunters and the Olympians. Artemis seemed to catch his look, as she smiled with unnatural cheer, before stepping quickly to the left, leaving Percy in the open. Zoe charged at him, and Percy let out a little shriek before running behind the nearest table, looping around it like a child playing a game of tag.