Chapter 19-The Assault

After the fun day Percy had with Zoe, she convinced him to hang around camp more. He didn't like it, but out of care for her, he obeyed, which surprised himself. It was abnormal for him to not argue with or flat out refuse someone. Perhaps it was some effect she had on him. 

Anyhow, after the rest of the quest finally awoke, they all took their turns talking and meeting with Percy, appreciating the chance to see him in more peaceful times. Each person who came back wore a similar expression, one of bliss, including Annabeth, who exchanged a very few amount of words. None looked happier than Hazel, who seemed to have been told something particularly unique, or perhaps just appreciated Percy that much more. She walked away with purpose in her stride, a massive smile on her face. 

The impact on each person at Camp Jupiter was relatively immediate; the training that ensued was harsh, but everyone enjoyed it. Reyna, along with Frank, were willing leaders, relying on Percy to coach them a lot more than they needed, mostly for the purpose of having excuses to talk to him. Percy himself seemed in decent spirits, although all the attention he got from everyone showed signs of wearing him down. Hopefully, if luck was on his side, the attention would wear thin soon enough. 

One bright part of each day was Zoe herself. For some reason, he found she still hung around camp, rather than hunting with her sisters and mistress. She slept in the temple to Diana, which Percy knew wasn't the most pleasant place in Camp Jupiter. He didn't complain though, as she always seemed to make him feel like everything was well, and like there wasn't a probably attack going to happen anytime soon. There was something else as well. Percy had spent much of his time thinking, wandering forests and absorbing nature. He felt... unclean, in a way. Like hanging out in places of safety and people was dimming his senses and making his lazier. 

He realized he would have to make a decision. He needed to visit Camp Half-Blood eventually, whether he liked it or not. None of his friends, if you could call most of them that, would approve of the choice. They held a grudge against those people, for apparently driving him out. He knew he deserved it, but he didn't want to tell that to those around him. They were too loyal, like himself, and honestly, he liked not having people to distrust him or know the full truth. He had done so much in his past, in his own opinion, he was less hero, more villain. Then, he had left those who had stood by him his whole life, like Grover, Tyson, and his dog. Yes, he brought back Zoe, but that was little consolation. At least she was enjoying her rebirth. Percy though... he could use a restart. He would stick to what he said. He'd accept death when it approached him at the end of the quest. Fate wasn't inevitable, but he decided it was time to accept responsibility. One could only delay death for so long. An image of himself meeting Hades flashed through his mind. 

Soon, he'd be at the foot of the gods' throne again. He would face his judgement, and deal with the results like any self-respecting demigod would. Perhaps he could fully atone for his sins in the afterlife. Daedelus managed, why couldn't Percy do the same? For now, he would do what he could while he lived. 

Which may not be for much longer. 

Percy let out a sigh, allowing himself to be intruded upon his depressing thoughts. He sensed the presence of a certain daughter of Atlas. A small smile found its way onto his face. He could tell she was trying to be sly as per usual. He pretended to be clueless as she rounded a few small plants to sneak up to the side of him. When she got close enough to reach him, he disappeared. Zoe looked around, confused as to what happened. That was something new to her. Then, she felt some pressure on her shoulder, a cautious touch from a hand she recognized. Grabbing his wrist, Zoe whirled to face her friend. Percy stood there, a poker-face donning his expression. She rolled her eyes, aware she had been caught off guard. Normally, she'd feel embarrassed. However, it was pretty much a common occurrence for her to entirely fail when she tried to get him with anything. She'd even tried shooting an arrow at him with his back turned, only for him to grab it without turning. There was really no point attempting to harm a person with Percy's level of skill.