Chapter 6-A New Solution

Artemis, the goddess of the moon, archery, hunting, wildlife, and more, was eager. Why? Something told her the very male she had been seeking out with her hunters was close by. Slightly more than a day after the first encounter, they had begun their hunt. Shalese had opened up to the girls rather quickly, and already seemed like she had been there forever. The small girl fit right in with the rest of them, courtesy of her innate hunting and archery talent, as well as her quiet but happy demeanor she seemed to display. She was more than glad to move on from her previous life. Wishing to know more of the man who had slain her abusive step-father, and just ready for a change of pace, she went with the ladies on her first hunt. This pleased Artemis, who had fully expected the man to have delivered a scarred, terrified child who would need time to recuperate. Overall, the experience of dealing with Shal wasn't an unpleasant one. 

When they seemed to hear a stirring nearby, the huntresses stopped and moved to cover, as silently as they could, their hearts racing and arms tensing. Confident in their abilities, the waited patiently for the man who had to be around somewhere to reveal himself. Artemis was next to her lieutenant, looking up and around a little confused. The boy's dampened aura seemed to be everywhere at once. The sound of something smacking the ground just in front of them got her attention, and she strained to see what it was. Then, all at once, arrows implanted themselves just inches away from her, the goddess' reflexes being just enough to stop one that seemed to be much slower than the others from shaving off her eyelashes. She quickly strung her bow and turned toward the direction where the assault came from, only to see that nobody was there. She looked around quickly at her other hunters to see they all had been similarly attacked, except none were too close to warrant even a single hair being cut. They seemed to be shocked into stillness. Then, a light clapping was heard from just above Artemis, and she quickly shot straight upwards in an attempt to slay the male before any harm would be done. The arrow stood no chance. 

In an impressive display of flexibility and theatrics, the boy leaped from the branch with plenty of twirls and flips on the way down before landing in a crouched position, bowing to Artemis. He then stood, almost his entirely body covered as usual, and waited for the reaction of those who had threatened. 

As expected, they were displeased.

Arrows from every direction found themselves flying to him, only to be sliced out of the air just as cleanly as before, none making it through. The sword was a blur of motion, no more no less, so quick that none could read the inscriptions on the celestial bronze. They couldn't see the ingravings of "Anaklusmos" on the blade. As quickly as the arrows had begun flying they stopped, and in no time at all the sword was gone. 

Silence reigned, until it was broken by a rather casual, "so what's up?"

A series of yelling and whistling broke out, some of the more experienced hunters demanding answers and the newer ones being impressed by the show of skill. Artemis simply stared, uncomprehending of the man's sleight of hand. She hadn't seen such prowess with a blade in her life, save perhaps prime Chrysaor or the absolute best of Percy Jackson, however even those two seemed to fall short of what she'd just witnessed. In her mind she called her wolves to her, prepared to do whatever it takes to stop this man from harming anyone. 

"Can you guys talk slower, or just nominate one person to speak? Or let the goddess talk instead? I won't hurt anyone milady, the wolves are unnessecary." He spoke again, being talken to quite fervently, but unable to keep up, despite his ADHD. 

Realizing her jaw had fallen, Artemis mentally smacked herself and took a loud, deep breath, silencing her inquisitive friends. "Boy, we have much to discuss. But lets start with this; how did you know I called my wolves?" The guy shifted on his feet a little, seeming uncomfortable, either with the subject, the present company, or perhaps something else. Nonetheless, he answered. "My senses are enhanced, and I can sense you calling out to the animals, somewhat even hear it myself." His tone seemed to darken a little at the latter half of the sentence, but he didn't change his posture. Appearing to think, Artemis paused for a few more moments, letting the words sink in, before continuing the interview. "How are you so talented with a blade? I'm not sure even I could have done that with my daggers. Something about your finesse just seems far too clean and inhuman." Once again, the response was there, his voice lighthearted again. "Many years of being forced into battle after battle provided strong practice, so I was already quite good, but then training myself hard in the wilderness, making myself empty for anything except for my training brought my swordsmanship a large boost. Plus, being a half-blood, as I'm sure you can tell by now, does make me more or less inhuman." The last sentence was spoken with a bit of a cheeky edge to it. Artemis was getting frustrated more and more as time went on, realizing this was largely futile with his semi-cryptic responses. "What kind of male half-blood runs around on their own and rescues children? How should I know you aren't just a monster with strong powers and intuition?" This was spoken with evident loathing and sarcasm, yet the man's expression contorted into anger behind the veil on his face, and his eyes seemed to pierce all whom they made contact with. 

"I am a monster, I already am aware of this. However, you goddess, seem to be just as much of one as I am. Speak carefully." The tension in the air became thick with those words, so much so it could be felt within miles. Artemis gained a more furious look, and the hunters began to give a more devious smile in the face of the argument. The boy was in danger. "You will be direct and respectful, or you will go from being a monster to an animal. How does that sound?" She told him, silver aura flaring. Yet, the boy seemed to care little, and to the goddess shock, his aura flared just as powerfully as hers, before seeming to trap her in place, bearing down on her with pure chaotic energy. She sensed several connections, but before anything could be learned, it released its hold. Taking more time, Artemis turned her anger into cold tolerance. "You shall regret that, mortal. Perhaps I'll get more answers from you as a jackal." Without waiting for a response, she waved her hand, and mist pressed onto the boy, who did nothing. However when Artemis fell to her knees, gasping, and the boy cleared the mist without changing, the hunters were stricken. That had never been seen before. In the blink of an eye, the boy was on the goddess, sword pressing into her collar. Sprinting for him, the huntresses had no goal except to slay him, however, when Thalia, along with a few of the other older members of the hunt stopped and stared in shock, the newer recruits stopped and gave a puzzled, determined look at each other. Leaning towards Artemis, the boy spoke, softly but meaningfully. "Beware next time you see me with ill intent, Lady Artemis. I'm sure you can't figure out who I am on your own, so here, take a look at this weapon of mine, and think on whose it is." Without waiting for an answer, he swiped the blade in front of her at quick pace, but not too fast so he she could see it clearly with her godly vision. Still panting, her eyes went wide, before looking up into his own. Finally, she realized who she was looking at, the realization stopping her breathing for a moment. Then, the boy backed up a few steps, before turning so that that hunters could see his eyes just as well. "Remember." He said, before backing up two steps, and once more, vanishing into thin air. After several moments of silence, one noise shone out. The sound of crying from a blue-eyed hunter. Thunder bloomed in the clear day. She had seen her cousin, and Artemis knew it. But Thalia had also seen something else. An expression she had never seen on him before. The look of someone who'd had enough of what life has to offer. Something only Artemis had noticed as well. This scene lasted for some time, until it was broken by a simple question from their newest huntress. "Why, and what just happened?"

1500 Words