Chapter 16-War

The group had gone a large distance in the span of two days, traveling faster then they had before. They weren't too far from Camp Jupiter at this point. The progress was beating down on some of those traveling, such as Annabeth, who hadn't been accustomed to such strenuous activity in a fair amount of time, her training at Camp Half-Blood not enough to match the others. Hazel was also struggling a bit, just unprepared for such a quest after months of depression. Frank, Reyna, and the huntresses were troopers, not showing any signs of weariness. Percy seemed to glide through trees when they were available, moving at a rapid pace before circling back, almost like he was patrolling. When he wasn't doing that, he was talking with Grover in a hushed tone, who was still ecstatic from finding Percy. 

The group was in high spirits despite the circumstances, all feeling the cheer that Perseus had always brought with him in the past. It's like he radiated optimism. Despite the lack of his old furor, he still had that sense around him. Like he will make things right no matter the cost. Perhaps it was his fatal flaw affecting those near him. 

As soon as they were within range, a horn was blown by Frank, a signal of their arrival. It was a practice that they had only recently decided upon, ensuring they wouldn't be mistaken for hunters with a unique sound. They continued their walk, rounding a hill, only to see at least a hundred legionnaires charging them at full speed. Realizing they were about to die, most of them just watched in awe. Percy had an escape plan, but decided against using it. Then, the stampede was upon them. However, before any contact could be made, everyone froze. They seemed to have noticed something. Or perhaps... someone. Percy was visible to everyone nearby, and they seemed to process his existence with total shock. Then, someone out of the crowd came and tackled him, provoking the rest into action. Every single person, those who knew him well, those who never met him, people with only tales of his extreme feats to know of his existence, and those between all pushed to get closer to the demigod. Eventually, the group began to worry he was going to die, until they heard a loud gasping for breath. Percy surfaced from the pile made around him, breathing heavy, before getting dragged down again. 

Those who had found him originally couldn't help their laughing. 

After a long while of trying to free him, Percy was safe, no longer suffocating to death in a group of limbs and bodies. Several people still tried to approach him, but the more experienced demigods present shooed them away, allowing Perseus to catch his breath. His expression was amused, annoyed, and also shocked. Clearly the reception was a lot for him to take. However, suddenly, his eyes narrowed. He lifted his head towards the air ever so slightly, seeming to extend his senses. His eyes widened. "RUN!" He roared at the Romans, startling them into quicker movements. They took off toward the camp after giving him a questioning glance, wondering what the issue was. He was left with those who had accompanied him to camp, who all looked at him like he was crazy. "Percy, I know they were excited, but you didn't have to do that." Hazel said, in a sort of lecturing tone. She was silenced by a glare from her old friend, who seemed to be on edge. "Something is wrong. I know it." He answered, all joy in his voice gone. The huntresses immediately prepped their weapons, not doubting Percy's instincts in the slightest. Annabeth, Hazel, and Frank were more doubtful. Grover and Reyna just looked mildly concerned, not seeming to fully believe him. It looked so beautiful around them. Then, in an instant, everything darkened. A laugh from a deep voice rang out, so deep and powerful it physically pushed back those present, save Percy, who didn't react. His eyes were closed, face full of concentration. 

The sun seemed to lose its luster, the light fading. It almost looked to be lowering faster. 

Percy just stayed still, his companions panicking and scrambling for the weapons they had dropped from hearing the laugh. Annabeth seemed particularly pale, like she recognized the voice. "Tartarus..." She whispered to herself. "No. Not him. His brother." Percy answered, causing Zoe to jump. His voice was grave, and sounded doubled. It wasn't something she had ever heard before. A look around showed water snaking toward him from several directions, looking more like a serpent than a liquid. It then dawned on her what he had said. The brother of Tartarus was present. Erebus, lord of shadows, husband of Nyx. She knew history as if she had lived it, which a lot of it, she had. But Erebus... tales of him had given her nightmares as a child. His story was one many parents used to scare kids in Ancient Greece. His power was supposedly rivaled by the greatest of all immortals, below beings like Chaos, but on par with Gaea and Tartarus. No good could come from his arousal. She had known he was probably coming, but she wasn't sure. They had already seen Nyx after all. But now... how could they ever stand a chance? At least two primordials were against them. And if the dim sun was any indicator... perhaps more.