Chapter 33-Attempted Outcast

"So, uh..." He started, hoping to get the ball rolling to cut the awkwardness from the air. Zoe stared at him, a little timidly, before sighing and sitting down beside him, far enough to ensure they didn't touch. Even though she wanted to close the distance, it felt a little too intrusive to her; who knew if Percy wanted the same? Better to take precautions. 

Then, she focused her attention to making conversation. "Where were you? The camp was a little worried, you know." Zoe attempted a casual air, but wasn't quite successful, an edge of worry and curiosity creeping through. Percy knew he would have to explain somewhat eventually, so he may as well start with one of the few people he trusted. Ah, how small that number was now as opposed to a single year ago. 

"Well, you see I was just-" Before Percy could talk about himself in the slightest, a flash blinded Zoe and made him avert his eyes as Artemis came back. And boy, did she look angry. In a mere second, she was grabbing Percy by the collar and teleporting with him to gods-know where, leaving Zoe alone in his cabin. Her eyes widened as she realized her predicament, before she gave a sigh of total confusion and laid down. She blushed, realizing it was Percy's own bed that she was getting comfortable in, before giving in to her tiredness. Zoe had not realized just how much energy she'd spent in the past days. In seconds, her eyes were closed. 

Meanwhile...

"How DARE YOU!" Artemis screeched, rearing back to slap Percy. He ducked under her arm, before diving towards the nearest tree, realizing they were in an open area. Quickly, he climbed before analyzing where exactly they were. A cliff could be seen close by, sharply dropping into an ocean. In the opposite direction, trees as far as the eye could see. Then, in the distance ever so slightly, a school. Westover Hall, he remembered. Evidently, Artemis didn't think too hard about where she had transported them, but she probably didn't care. He had a feeling he knew precisely why she was so mad. 

Turning his attention back to the goddess, he found an arrow flying towards him, tipped with silver. 'Sheesh, she really is pissed!' He thought to himself as he vapor traveled to the cliff edge, well aware of the position he'd be putting himself in. "Artemis, can you explain your freak-out session you're having or something? This is a little wild you know." She quickly turned and fired at him again, causing him to lean back just enough to avoid getting killed. He was yet to be concerned though. Artemis was incredible fast, but he had dealt with all manner of hellish talent and ruthlessness. 

Artemis seemed to calm down somewhat, but her eyes still burned with rage. "Why did you kiss her?" The goddess steamed, taking a few steps towards Percy. "Pardon me?" He answered, surprised at first before understanding what Aphrodite had likely told her. But Artemis had already gone into another fit of anger. She darted at him with daggers out, letting emotion control her movements. Percy didn't see fit to use any blade of his to fight back, nor his bow, so he just did his best to avoid contact. He moved like a contortionist, bending and twisting to dodge fierce, non calculated blows that would easily kill any other demigod. "I didn't kiss the dumb goddess! She froze me with charmspeak and pecked me once on the lips, I couldn't do anything! Only when she tried to move further did I manage to break free and entrap her in my own mind. She was lying!" His words seemed to not be heard for a few seconds, before Artemis processed what she was told. Unfortunately, by this point she was in the middle of a kick, and her body was unable to stop the motion fast enough. By raw luck, this move was the one to finally impact Percy, and he fell backwards off the cliff, towards the ocean below. However, this was no deep end. From her own analysis of this place before, Artemis knew the ocean was shallow in this place, and even though it looked plenty deep a glance, a faint dark shape below the surface revealed all that anyone needed to know. 

"Perseus!" She cried, realizing her error. She sprinted to the edge of the cliff and barely stopped in time to prevent her own fall. She saw nothing. No person falling, no body already in the waves, not a person in sight. It was then that her thoughts hidden in the back of her mind made it to the forefront. Of course Aphrodite would lie. Percy was loyal to a fault, common knowledge for any god or goddess. He would never kiss her, but she had phrased it in such a way that Artemis could not sense any deceit. Percy may not like anyone as far as she knew, but kissing a girl just for the sake of doing it was still off the table. It was all so obvious. And now she didn't have a clue where he had gone.