Rewritten: Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9: Celebrations

-------------------------------------------------------

It was late and the sun had already set over the horizon by the time Naruto had made it home from his shopping trip with his teammates. The two had dragged him everywhere, tasking the information naruto had given them about the two kids to choose out the best gifts. The three had decided on more practical gifts that would serve in day to day life rather than toys and eventually they came across two decently sized fluffy blankets. Naruto recalled the way they slept and had decided that these were the perfect gift for the two kids. Sasuke had then mentioned getting the two a few sets of clothes and Naruto picked out some clothes for himself, to which the blonde had agreed.

Kakshi had left behind a bit of paper with the details for the examination that the three read together. The note said seven in the morning but Naruto and Sasuke knew the jounin and told Sakura to get there for about nine instead, also advising her to eat a light meal before the three broke off in different directions, all heading home.

Naruto was greeted by Kushina as he entered the place he had stayed ever since he could remember, although if those dreams truly were memories, then he supposed that that would be false. The red haired woman offered him dinner, saying she could warm up the meal for him but he declined, telling her he had already eaten with his team. He stood still, nervously fiddling with his hands as Kushina congratulated him on passing the graduation exam, her tone was warm and welcoming which Naruto liked yet it stil felt a little wrong.

"We can do anything you want tonight, as a celebration!" she had exclaimed.

"I was actually hoping to go and see my friend, it's their younger sibling's birthday today and they offered to let me go and celebrate it with them," he revealed, gesturing to the bag of items he held.

"Oh, I wasn't aware that it was anyone's birthday," she looked taken aback at first before racking her brain, trying to figure out which one of her friends had a child whose birthday was that day. Naruto grimaced slightly, as if reading her mind he answered.

"You, don't know them. They're not from around here," he didn't feel that telling her they were from the Red Light District was a good idea. After all, it was her who had initially warned him of the place and told him to stay away. Kushina was terrifying when she was angry and Naruto didn't want to be on the receiving end of her wrath filled rants.

"Well, I suppose I could go and meet their parents," she smiled at him and began to reach for her coat which hung on the rack by the front door and Naruto panicked.

"Its fine!" he blurted out, a little louder then he intended, "I'm a genin now, I don't need you to take me to places. I'm not a kid anymore." he trailed off and flinched as Kushina turned to face him. The ground was suddenly very interesting.

"I get it, you're a young man now. I won't stop you," Naruto looked up at her in surprise, feeling bad that he had doubted her character. He had to remind himself that Kushina was a good person, she was caring and understanding. She was much different to Minato who believed that everything had to be done together in order for them to be a 'good family' and that there were meant to be no secrets between them. It was as if the concept of privacy and personal space did not click in his mind. "But, I don't want you in danger so let's make a compromise," Kushina grinned at him, "what are they like?" Naruto smiled at her and they both took a seat on the living room couch.

"Well, he is, um." Naruto's tongue felt too big for his mouth and he imagined Hiiro in his mind, "He has beautiful eyes." Naruto slapped himself internally. Was that seriously the first thing he thought about? 'Pull it together idiot!' "and under the right light they give of this red glow," No you idiot- "his skin is warm and he has a kind but playful personality," the tips of Naruto's ears went red as he listened to himself. Kushina looked surprised for a moment before giving him a knowing look and gesturing for him to continue. "He is selfless, putting his two-" Naruto paused for a moment, thinking of the right term for the two eight year old's, "-younger siblings, before himself and he is nice to me." Naruto tried to stop himself but the words just kept coming. "I haven't known him for long but he makes me happy, time seems to fly by when I'm with him and I want to spend more time with him," Naruto finished and Kushina giggled at his red face.