Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12: Interlude One

a short extra bit to make up for the long break

--------------------------------------------

Naruto soon slipped into a routine. Wake up to Hiiro saying good morning and eating breakfast together before they both headed off, Naruto to D-rank missions and Hiiro to manual field work, the two younger kids usually gone before he awoke to their cleaning jobs in a bookstore in a store just outside the district, he'd then meet his team, complete a few d-ranks and then training from lunch to around six when he'd return home to make dinner for them all. Then Yuka and Yuta would get back and then the three would talk about their day and clean up as dinner finished cooking and Hiiro returned. The meals they would share were quite simple but still much better than the canned non-perishable food the red light trio had been sustaining themselves on for the last few years. With Naruto paying for the food, the decision was made after much argument between Hiiro and Naruto, the three were able to eat much better than before, the nourishment able to sustain their needs and as a result Hiiro had begun to grow taller then the blonde. This of course led to much teasing but Naruto was secretly glad at the new development. Then the twins would sleep and Hiiro and Naruto completed a few runs through the district then to the archives where Naruto looked for information and Hiiro spent his time resting and studying.

"Ruto," Hiiro called out, dragging out the 'o'. Naruto turned to him and the taller boy draped himself over his friend who supported his weight easily. "M'tired, let's head home," Naruto agreed and left the books where they were on the table as no one really frequented the old building other than him and Hiiro.

"It is getting late," Naruto chuckled as Hiiro latched into his shoulders, dropping all his weight onto the blonde. Naruto carried Hiiro on his back as they made their way back to the old building they lived in. The walk back was silent, Naruto doing all the walking and Hiiro practically asleep on the other. He thought back on the past two weeks and the routine they had settled into. He had narrowed down some information about his older brother. Not anything substantial like a name but rather where he was from. From one recurring dream there was an Iwagakure headband on a table near where the two sat playing, which narrowed down the blonde's possible location. He also suspected a bloodline limit that ran through both their blood. His chakra was awfully similar to what he had felt the time his brother and him had been escaping from the Kumo shinobi, explosive and teeming with wild energy waiting for a spark to ignite it. He let the thoughts drift by as he entered the old building and laid Hiiro on their shared sleeping pile before joining him. The two never bothered splitting the pile and only added the twins old blankets to make it a little larger. It wasn't as if they needed them , Naruto's gifts were big enough to replace their old piles, the blonde thought about getting mattresses and beds but Hiiro had talked him out of it, saying once they saved up enough money they could move to somewhere better. A sour passed through his head.

There was only a week before his parents arrived back home and he would be forced to leave this place that he so fondly called home. He didn't look forward to returning to the stifling and tense household. A part of him selfishly wished that Kushina and Minato would just stay out of the village forever so he could remain part of the trio's home but he scolded himself as soon as the thought crossed his mind.

"Relax, Just get some rest, Ruto," Hiiro muttered from beside him and hugged the blonde tightly, feeling the worry radiating from his friend. Naruto smiled and returned the gesture, falling into slumber to the sound of his best friend's heartbeat.