Rewritten: Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7: A New Bond

-------------------------------------------------

The students, or rather, newly minted genin began to file into the room by the time Naruto had zoned back into reality, Iruka following in suit as the bell rang and their break ended. He could barely hear the chunin over the excited chatter of the new genin around him.

"Alright class, this may be the last time I see some of you so listen up!" The chatter quieted down but a few murmurs continued. Iruka's speech was uplifting as he told the students how proud he was of them. Naruto couldn't help but suppress an eye roll. He was annoyed, the dreams kept him from sleeping properly and now Iruka's booming voice was spewing propaganda and bullshit, as it sounded to Naruto.

"The hell happened to get you so pissed?" Naruto hadn't even realised the Inuzuka boy had sat next to him as Kiba nudged him with his elbow, a quick jab to the ribs. The blonde's annoyance only grew and he didn't understand why he was annoyed. He gave the other a questioning look. "Dude, your face is scrunched like Choji's bag of chips. "Quit lookin' like you wanna murder someone," Naruto's look of 'what do you mean?' had prompted Kiba's answer. The two had been close friends since they could walk, their mothers getting on quite well, given their personalities.

"It's nothing, Kiba," the Inuzuka frowned at him, irritated that his friend wasn't opening up as a scowl crossed his face.

"Alright, whatever man," Naruto sighed and the two went back to blankly staring at Iruka. By now, the chunin had finished his 'heartwarming' speech and moved onto announcing the teams. The blonde listened closely for his name, wondering if his suspicion was right. He and Shikamaru had stayed up speculating a week ago on the team placements. There were eight clan kids in the graduation class, bound to be put together. That then crossed Ino, Choji and Shikamaru. It was inevitable that they would be dubbed the next 'Ino-Shika-Cho' trio, after how successful their parent's team work was. That left Sasuke, Naruto, Kiba, Hinata and Shino. The two had considered their fighting styles, Shikamaru declaring that Kiba, Hinata and Shino would most likely be put together as a tracker team, which left Naruto and Sasuka. The heaviest hitters in terms of firepower and raw strength. Naruto was happy with the placements, Sasuke was someone he knew well and with no doubt he could work with the Uchiha without much conflict. Following the boy-boy-girl structure of the team, Naruto had suggested that Sakura, the acclaimed kunoichi of the year, was going to be his and Sasuke's teammate. There was no way the Hokage would put someone who could hold the Uchiha and Uzumaki heirs back on their team.

"Team seven. Uzumaki Naruto, Haruno Sakura and Uchiha Sasuke." Naruto sent Shikamaru a knowing grin at the team announcement who returned the gesture with a grin of his own. It was just as they had assumed as Iruka read out the remaining team numbers. "You'll now have a break for an hour and return here for your new Sensei to come and collect you. Don't be late?" A chorus of 'Hai, Sensei,' echoes through the classroom, the sounds of footsteps as the new genin shuffled out the classroom drowning out their words. Naruto waited until the classroom was almost empty before hurling himself out the window. He stretched his arms out, pondering what to do for the next hour. He hadn't brought any food with him, having come straight from the Red Light Trio's home. The hundred yen bill brushed past his hand as he stuffed them in his pockets and set off towards the Red Light District.

A sudden thought flew through his mind, was this money not what the trio depended on for food and rent? His step faltered and he slipped off the low roof, falling towards the ground as he let out a squeak of surprise only for the ground to let out a squeak of surprise and pain in return.

"Jeez, that fuckin hurt," the voice was familiar to the blonde and his eyes snapped to the red-brown ones of the boy pinned under him. "The hell was-" Hiiro went silent as he met Naruto's eyes. "..Ruto?" Naruto was speechless. It seemed that even thinking of the other summoned him.