Rewritten: Chapter 1

THE FAINT WHISPER FROM A DREAM

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Naruto!"

There was a sudden scream that broke through the tense atmosphere of the night as a yellow flash slashed through the clearing. The teen with light ash blond hair cried out, his hands stretched out from his place on the ground in a futile attempt to reach the stolen child, his precious little brother, the young toddler in the older man's arms cried and thrashed about in an attempt to get to the teen in return. Explosions ran in a quick succession around the trio, creating brilliant flashes of light and thunderous sounds, drowning out the cries of the brothers.

"Give my baby brother back!" The teen yelled. One could hear the desperation in his voice as he struggled to get back up, "what do you want with us!?"

The older man laughed, his appearance not unlike the two boys yet his sky blue eyes held a certain malicious glint that neither of the brothers could ever hope to hold. He looked at the barely conscious teen on the rough and turned ground in disgust, as if he were a mere insect in the man's way.

"This little Naruto is going to be my son," He spoke calmly and the explosions ceased and silence settled in the once chaotic scene. The calmness of his tone juxtaposed the fury in the blonde teen's eyes as he glared at the figure he could barely see, his vision starting to blur as adrenaline started to wear out. "My lovely wife and I spent so long, so long trying to find the perfect child after finding she couldn't conceive," the man spoke again, his voice was soft and in any other circumstance may have have been comforting, "she was content for settling for just anyone of those orphans but I, I knew the right one would come and if they didn't I would find them."

The blonde and bloody teen felt warm tears fall down his cheeks as the slumped to the coarse dirt beneath him as the older gave the infamous 'villain monologue', his conscience finally left him as the older man and the baby disappeared in a yellow flash.

"NARUTO!"

Naruto scrambled out of bed gasping for air, a shaking hand gripping at the fabric above his chest as he tried his best to recall all the memories of the dream before they faded away.

'What the hell was that?' He thought to himself confused and panicked 'I'm sure, I think that man was Minato and the baby was definitely me but who was that other boy? How did he know my name?' As much as he tried, he couldn't recall the words that Minato had spoken.

"Maybe I was kidnapped? Makes sense since I'm Hokage's son and Minato saved me," his thoughts were spoken out loud. A sudden pain squeezed his heart as he thought of the other blond boy being a kidnapper and he felt a sense of familiarity with the boy who shared the same shade of blue his eyes held.

"Naruto, it's time for you to get your lazy butt out of bed before I come up there and drag you down!" A loud voice yelled from down where the kitchen of the large house was. Naruto paled at the thought of Kushina dragging down the stairs with her vice like grip around his ankle.

After scrambling to get his clothes, slipping into a black short sleeve shirt and pants, mimicking the ANBU uniform style before he raced down the stairs, all but throwing himself onto the chair at the table.

"Morning Kushina!" He forced a smile through his confused state of mind only to be met with a disappointed and pained frown as he realised his slip up.

"How many times must I tell you to call me mother?" Kushina asked, a bit annoyed. Naruto looked down at the table,

"Sorry, mother," he said, trying the word out but feeling his stomach clench uncomfortably at the word. Kushina beamed and hugged him tightly. He looked away. This didn't feel right, it never had. The red haired woman put the plate down in front of Naruto and walked back into the kitchen, a hop in her step. He looked at the plate in disgust and sighed. 'Is ramen all these people ever eat?' his stomach agreed with his thoughts as his appetite left him 'I mean it's good and all but I need to grow'. He slowly picked up the chopsticks and held the oily noodles between them. He still couldn't get the night's happenings out of his mind, 'What was that dream about though? Why does it hurt when I think of him badly? Who is he?' Naruto pondered over the dream, the noodles left untouched in his bowl.

"Naruto, you better get to school quickly, or did you forget that you have academy classes today?" Kushina said. He sighed quietly for the second but most likely not the last time of the day and made it to the front door slipping into his shinobi sandals. Not even uttering goodbye he walked out the door and towards the academy. The over praise and sickeningly sweet greetings of the villagers as he passed by left a bitter taste in his mouth and he could only manage a strained smile in their direction before moving on. He always hated the way they glorified him, worshiping him because of who his parents were, often wishing he could escape from their hungry eyes and just run away. Naruto's pace quickened as the bright red academy came into view and he made a dash towards it. The classroom was half full when he arrived, the familiar faces of friends he made through his parents, the other clan kids giving him nods of acknowledgement as he passed them and sat in his seat beside the window, looking out to the entrance of the academy grounds.

Time seemed to drag on and he felt dreams pull him back to the deepest part of his mind once more as the words from the teen coming back to his mind as he slipped into darkness, 'Give my baby brother back!'