Chapter 21

"You should get something to eat."

Naruto didn't even look over at his teacher, gaze focused on Hiiro as if the boy would disappear the moment Naruto's eyes drifted. The Jounin walked over and sat beside the boy, offering the rice ball in his hand. The blonde wordlessly took it and silence fell between them.

Two days had passed, with Sakura and Sasuke looking after Tazuna, overlooking his bridge's progress and helping where they could. Naruto remained by Hiiro's side and was determined to stay that way whether or not Kakashi assigned him to the position. Kakashi didn't have the heart to deny the boy however, letting his student wordlessly stay by the other's side.

-- --

"Hey, brats! I'm just about done for the day," Tazuna called over to the two genin by the edge of the dock. Sakura smiled at him over her shoulder and gave him a thumbs up. She turned back to Sasuke, continuing where she'd left off,

"Hard to believe it's already been so long since we graduated from the academy." Sasuke hummed in agreement, peering down at the murky waters that crawled up the dock's pillars with every wave. The weather was beginning to pick up, a storm growing ever closer. They'd been relatively lucky with the weather so far, only light showers some mornings but it seemed their luck was about to fall short. "I hope Hiiro wakes up soon," Sakura's saddened tone snapped him from the water, "I can't imagine how Naruto feels, it must have been so scary."

"Hn." Sakura chuckled but the worry didn't quite leave her. He could tell there was something more that worried her.

"What if.. what if it hadn't been Naruto there that day," she started, "I mean you and Kakashi-sensei would have been fine too, but.." Sasuke could tell where her mind was as her words trailed off.

"To be totally honest," Sakura turned to look at him, "I don't know if I could do what he did." His thoughts lingered on the image of the bodies in the kitchen that day. A similar look was reflected in Sakura's eyes as he looked at her, finding comfort in how similar the look in her eyes was to his own. "I think we both have a long way to go, of course Naruto too. But that's why we're a team right?" He gave the smallest of smiles.

A dusting of pink tinged Sakura's cheeks but she returned the smile with a much wider one of her own, "Of course." She hopped up to her feet and dusted her skirt before offering a hand to Sasuke. "You know, you were pretty impressive against that masked-nin," Sasuke accepted her hand and she pulled him up.

"Thanks, let's head back before the rain picks up anymore then this," He answered, noticing the droplets that were beginning to fall, the promise of a long stormy night looming in the dark clouds over the pair.

--

Inari sat by the window, waiting for the return of his grandfather and the two genin he'd come to grow fond of. Tsunami slowly stitched some fabric further in the room. She'd been able to shield her son from the main scene but he'd been quiet since the incident. There was a lot to think about, to come to terms with what she supposed, even for a young boy like him. Young yet not much younger than the boy who'd lost his arm saving her life. Her hands stopped working as she began to remember staring horrified at his limp body. The goading of the assailants seemed distant at that moment. Red creeped towards her from the growing pool beneath the boy-

"Mama," Her vision cleared in that moment, the warmth of her son's hands against her shaking ones, or was he the one shaking, she didn't know. Maybe both their hands were shaking. Inari hugged her tightly.

"Thank you, Inari."

--

There was a warmth against his cheek, caressing his skin gently. Tired blue eyes cracked open and met warm brown.

"I'm sorry, Ruto," Naruto teared up at his friend's voice.

"Don't be an idiot, I'm the one that's sorry." Hiiro smiled at him,

"Then we both forgive each other and that's that." Naruto pulled himself closer, resting his forehead against Hiiros. The rain was thunderous against the roof and a cool draft from one of the many cracks in the walls swept the chill into both boy's bones but in that moment they'd never felt so warm, comforted by the presence of their counterpart, safe and there. Hiiro slowly moved his hand into Naruto's hair, tangling his fingers into blonde locks. Naruto tightened his arms around him in return. "I didn't think I'd see you again," Hiiro's voice was soft, "But I could feel you, ya'known, it was so cold but then I could feel this heat, so hot it was almost burning." Naruto's tears fell as Hiiro continued, "But I'm here."

He leaned forwards, gently pressing his lips against the crying Blonde's nose before resting his head on Naruto's arm that wrapped around his head, holding him still and against Naruto.

The two laid like that until Naruto's sobs quietened down.

"Sorry I can't hug you with both arms," Hiiro whispered jokingly and Naruto choked out a laugh, bringing one hand up to flick Hiiro's forehead. They rested for a moment, sleep pulling at both of them but neither waiting to leave the company of the other even in sleep.

"I'll be your arm, your strength and support. In every battle and every peaceful day, I'll be by your side. I promise," Hiiro smiled softly, his eyelids drooping as he acknowledged Naruto's words.

"Okay."

------------

yooooooooooooo no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay an updateeeee thats craaazy

;P