Rewritten: Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5: A Different Kind Of Life

A/N - Thank you guys for the support! Hiiro is a character some of you may recognise but not by name~ He is scarlet blaze from the Naruto online game, one of the five playable characters that follow along the main characters during the story~

"You look kinda lost, you know?" Naruto found himself growing accustomed to the sudden voice calling out to him and he turned to his right this time. The boy didn't seem to be any younger or older than him, about the same height as Naruto, the boy had a skinny frame that was swallowed up by the ragged clothes he wore and a messy mop of black hair that was knotted and tangled in multiple directions. His eyes were a warm shade of dark brown that made them seem almost red in the light of the red lanterns, only accentuated by the dark bags under his eyes. Naruto stuttered out a reply,

"Uh, I'm not really from here but I'm supposed to deliver this to..um."

"Madam Aiya?" The boy finished for him, stepping beside the blonde and pulling him down the path softly. "Yeah, sorry bout that. I was looking after the rest of the group and was late to the meeting stop. I was meant to take the delivery but I guess the old man just couldn't wait and you had to pick up my slack, eh?" Naruto didn't know how to respond. The casual tone and slang that the other used was so alien to him yet it felt nice. He found himself nodding as the other pulled him along the used dirt paths.

"Um, I'm-" he paused. If he told the other his name and got recognised, would he think differently of him? "I'm Ruto."

"Nice to meet ya, I'm Hiiro, the leader of the street kids down this street," his introduction was odd to Naruto, "what street you from?"

"Oh, I'm from outside the district," the moment Naruto revealed that Hiiro stopped walking.

"The hell are you doing here then?" Hiiro looked genuinely confused at the other, an eyebrow raised as he waited for Naruto's answer.

"I just, I guess I just needed an escape. You see my-"

"-It's fine man, I didn't mean to pry. Let's get this delivered before the Madam gets annoyed," Naruto was grateful for the interruption and the two started walking down the street again eventually reaching a beautifully decorated building with women in loose kimonos around the entrance. "We're here." Hiiro pointed out before waving his hand towards an older woman towards the back of the room and slung his other arm around Naruto's shoulder.

"There you are, Iro-kun," the woman came over to the two boys, her back straight and posture perfect as she held her head high. Despite obvious signs of aging the air around her was sophisticated and she emitted an aura of what Naruto could only describe as nobility. "And who might this be?" She asked, giving the blonde a small nod of acknowledgement.

"This is Ruto. Part of mine so don't go gettin' any ideas, Madam," Hiiro let a sly grin over his face as he handed the older woman the package and pulled Naruto closer towards him. Madam Aiya chuckled as she took the package and nodded slightly, she was so much like what Naruto would imagine a grandmother to act like.

"Of course not, my boy," she gave Naruto a knowing look yet he had no idea what the glint in her eyes meant, "Well it was lovely meeting you, Ruto, and I wish you the best of luck dealing with Iro-kun."

"Oh come on! I'm not that bad!" Madam Aiya let out a chuckle and covered her mouth with the elegantly decorated fan, her face a close eyed smile. "Let's go, Ruto," Naruto gave a slight wave at the woman before being dragged away by the black haired boy. The two walked without talking down the streets of the Red Light District, the chatter and bustle of the busy streets filling in the silence. It took Naruto a moment to realise that Hiiro's arm was still around his shoulder. He shook his shoulder slightly, hoping the other would get the hint only for Hiiro to make his hold stronger. "Just wait a little longer, Ruto," Naruto shivered at Hiiro's low voice as the boy muttered under his breath. He pulled the blonde into an alley then an old decrepit house with blankets strewn across the supposed living room.