22. the attack

I AM THE WORST UPDATER EVER I CRY.

COMMENTERS : CamillaVanilla26 ; Songbook22 ; THGDivergentElsa7402 ; kmrfashionista ; wifi_hogger (bae doe) ; MandiKat ; AshleyJubelag ; Gray_King ; divaworld4812 ; mysterytide ; PopularlyUnpopular ; EllaJosephine ; 31cora ; rewrite ; Coffee__Black ; squishyfishies (kween) ; motorola2727 ; TheBriggs ; amandaviser ; Never_Landx ; writegirl2820 ; kayla51295 ; Gisellestar ; HoldensLilCupcake

~~~~~~~~~~

The fairies returned to my room as dinner approached. The meal came rather swiftly, carrying promises of entertainment on Anna's part and plain annoyance on Leah's- I expected the Queen of Elia to be slamming her head against the table halfway through the first course. I awaited the moment with held breath and a comical smile.

"Why, you're awfully cheery this evening, Princess Ivory," Fauna greeted, ushering me out of the bedroom.

And, just as quickly as they'd come, all of the positive thoughts and expectations for the upcoming meal dripped through the cracks between my fingers like little soap bubbles.

'Princess' was a strange word. A princess, in the most basic form, was the daughter of a king or a queen. And, yet, it could never be that simple, because in the Disneyverse, everything seemed to be interwoven with ten other things. The term 'princess' had many definitions, like an intricately embroidered blouse that had many loose strings hanging from the sleeves. Princesses, as I'd always believed, were role models. They were elegant and beautiful. Goddesses.

Role models. Beautiful women who little girls could look up to.

I was the very last person who someone would want to choose as a role model. Which was good, in a sense- I had never wanted someone else to look up to me, let alone a young girl. I lived for myself. I didn't live for other people.

The fairies plopped me down in front of the mirror in the bathroom, producing a wooden stool out out of empty space. "We have a few special guests joining us, tonight," Flora explained, her facial features contorted into an expression of pure enthusiasm.

I raised an eyebrow. "Special guests? Who?"

"Well, let's see." Merryweather placed a pudgy finger to her chin. "Ooh! There's been a rumor floating around the castle all afternoon that King Adam is going to be eating with us tonight."

"King Adam?" Fauna gasped, eyes increasing in luminosity. "Oh, I haven't seen him since we've arrived! Where has he been?"

"Away in China, I hear. Apparently, he was with General Li Shang when he received the news about..." She paused- an unexpected rupture of silence. Merryweather gulped, and Fauna's bones grew tense, her jovial smile smoothing into a straightened line. Mulan's disappearance.

It was strange, really. Just as I was starting to get to know her, just as I was realizing that she and I were similar in more ways than I could probably figure, she was gone. Plucked right from under our noses. The thought made made my blood turn to ice.

Merryweather cleared her throat. "Erm... Princess Anna of Arendelle will be joining us, definitely. It's her first time in France, so Her Majesty the Queen wants to make her stay unforgettable."

"Oh, I heard that Mrs. Potts is pulling out all the stops!" Fauna gushed, floating upwards and sitting herself down on the edge of the sink. "She's serving a traditional French dinner, all seven courses-"

"Seven courses?" My eyelids snapped upwards. I could practically hear my stomach screaming for mercy. "How long does that take to eat?"

"Oh, usually five, six hours. Although, the longest that I've ever spent at a French restaurant was eight hours."