14. the dance

I honestly don't know how this story is at 9.5k reads. Like, seriously. I have the best readers in the world. Fight me.

Anyway, early update for you guys! I just got back from vacation and I really had nothing better to do so I just decided to bang out a bunch of chapters. Chapter 15 is almost halfway done, so expect it sometime early next week.

Big shoutout to our commenters! ivannac27 ; amandaviser ; amypond102 ; Never_Landx ; squishyfishies (QUEEN) ; graygoose99 ; gelgela29 ; cal-palx ; THGDivergentElsa7402 ; ikbenpien ; EllaJosephine ; 31cora ; -QueenElsa- ; IcyRoads . I LOVE YOU ALL MWAH.

Here's the chapter! Love you guys :D

~~~~~~~~~~

The girl lifted up a hand, scratching her cheeks and averting her gaze away from the man- however, no matter how many times her eyes shifted, they always seemed to be drawn back to him. "Oh, I-" She gulped, blinking a few times, as though trying to make sure that the man was really there. "Well, I'm- um-"

"Go on," I whispered, offering a smile.

She turned to me. "Hmm?" Each of her thoughts were written into her expression- the creases in her eyebrows told me that she was confused, the space between her lips told me that she was speechless, and the brightness in her eyes told me that she was mystified.

I motioned towards the man. "Dance with him. You may not have another opportunity like this in your entire life." I winked. "Take it."

I felt like I was motivating one of my close friends to talk to a guy they liked. For a moment, I'd completely forgotten that I was at a ball, surrounded by beautifully dressed women and sitting within the walls of a palace. All I knew was that I was encouraging a girl who I'd so easily been able to connect with.

At my words, the girl nodded, her gaze returning to the man, their eyes meeting. "Why, of course I'll dance with you." Her words were meek and lined with hoarseness, a failed attempt at being charming, but at least they were the words I'd encouraged her to say.

"Are you sure, miss?" the man asked. His voice was slow and smooth, like caramel and coffee, like cream filled chocolates and sticky candies.

The girl looked pink and breathless, staring at him with glowing eyes. "I'm sure."

After that, everything seemed to move in slow motion. The man in the silver suit took the girl's hand, intertwining his fingers with hers. Her lips parted, as though she were ready to say something, but no words came out. The man turned to her, contorting his features into a comforting expression, which eased her tension a bit. Her shoulders became more relaxed, and the redness in her face faded to a bright pink.

He eased her along, keeping his fingers wrapped around hers, and with a swift twirl of silver fabric, they vanished into the sea of women in ball gowns.

I craned my neck, attempting to see over the vast row of heads- however, most of the women were far too tall. I stood up, smoothing out the front of my dress and starting to snake in between some of the girls, squeezing past gloved hands and nearly tripping over puffed up skirts. I received a few choruses of "hey!" and "watch it!". Other than that, no one seemed to notice my sudden urge to follow the man and girl dressed in silver.

The lights dimmed, the small flames that sat atop the candles starting to diminish in size (which shocked me, at first, considering that there was no way that such a thing could have happened if not for some sort of magical spell). The orchestra switched to another song- this one was much slower and more appealing to the ears. Notes fell into each other like sections of a poem, each line of music tumbling into the next. It had a romantic and uplifting vibe to it, a song that you'd expect to hear in the background of a wedding.