20. the mistakes

At first I hated this chapter but while I was editing it I thought "wait this is actually good???"

HOW ARE WE AT TWENTY CHAPTERS *POPS CHAMPAGNE* HAPPY NEW YEAR *ALSO POPS CHAMPAGNE* *WHOLE ROOM IS COVERED IN CHAMPAGNE* *DOESN'T CARE* *SWIMS IN CHAMPAGNE* *INVITES YOU ALL TO SWIM IN CHAMPAGNE*

Commenters (THANK YOU ALL SO BEARY BEARY MUCH)

angelarose_612 ; Gisellestar ; wifi_hogger (who actually nomintated me to be jesus which I will remember for the rest of my life) ; Glittergirl66 ; thatclovelydisnerd ; divaworld4812 ; squishyfishies (kween) ; amandaviser ; PopularlyUnpopular ; AshleyJubelag ; THGDivergentElsa7402 ; Gray_King ; Allegra_Bisscotti ; rewrite ; TheBriggs ; TheBeautifulDreamer_ ; harrystyles104 (love the username) ; 31cora ; motorola2727 ; EllaJosephine

okay on with the story:

~~~~~~~~~~

The air was cool, and smelled of autumn- the scent of something crisp and warm coated with a paper-thin layer of ice. I crept around the perimeter of the castle, searching for the dirt path that had led me down to the village the other night.

"Stop!"

A voice, masculine and controlling, like a leather whip that left ugly scars, rang out and cut the night open. I froze, twisting my head around. A man, whose torso was covered up with brass and head encased in a rigid metal helmet, ran towards me- in his hands he held a sword.

I swallowed. "I don't want any trouble, sir." He must have been a palace guard, ready to grab me by the wrist and reprimand me for sneaking out late at night while dragging me to Leah.

"Who are you?" he demanded. "A thief? An enchantress?"

"No. No, not at all. I'm..." How was I supposed to address myself? I wasn't a princess, was I? "I'm Ivory."

Because that was all I knew for certain. I was Ivory.

There was a shift in the air, like the entire world had been pushed over on its side, and the guard lowered his sword. "Ivory?"

I froze.

"Gaston."

He lunged, and within the next half a second, he had me stuck between his bicep, pinned in a loose chokehold, massive hands keeping

"You're not supposed to be out here, are you, mademoiselle?" he spat, cramming his biceps into my mouth before I could scream. "No, you're supposed to be back inside the palace, all snug and cozy in your nice little bed. What are you doing outside? Someone really evil could do you unspeakable harm."

A crazed, demonic sound escaped from his throat- a laugh? "Well, let me tell you something, Ivory. I have a sword. And you don't."

My heart was slamming against my chest, and my stomach was growing tighter and tighter, hotter and hotter. Sweat gushed from every place imaginable.

"How about I make you a deal? If you let me go without spilling a word of this little encounter, I'll spare your life and let you run off to wherever you're running off to."

Dizziness came over me like a cloud disguising the sun, and the world grew warm and lines became fuzzy and I was sweating and trying to scream and-

I slammed my foot down.

Gaston tumbled onto the grass. His sword lay a mere few inches away from him. Without thinking, I grabbed it.

"Now I have a sword." I gulped. "And you don't."