23. the potion

5 Reasons to be Happy:

1. I'm actually alive and I haven't died or been put on life support or joined the illuminati guys I am okay I've just been on a very long break

2. I'm finally updating after approximately a month and a half huzZAH

3. I just finished up my sixth show (third lead woop woop) and it went so so so well. The cast was so much fun to work with, and I became attached to my character very quickly. Unfortunately, I have really really bad post-show depression at the moment :(

4. My readers have stayed dedicated and patient and beautiful and I want to thank each and every one of you for being so fantastic.

5. On April 2nd, I turned fifteen, and I spent the whole day in my pajamas. Swag money.

Commenters!

divaworld4812 ; KatiDraws ; bellabae14 ; rewrite ; Allegra_Bisscotti ; TheBriggs ; angelarose_612 ; MandiKat ; Gray_King ; yackieblue ; Glittergirl66 ; 31cora ; amandaviser ; its_simply_riley ; Coffee__Black ; PopularlyUnpopular ; Lady_Gwen ; ChickuLen ; wifi_hogger ; mysterytide ; thatclovelydisnerd ; CamilaVanilla26 ; Never_Landx ; THGDivergentElsa7402 ; HoldensLilCupcake

Here's chapter twenty three, aka "Leah is a fucking mess, and Ivy and Anna contemplate the meaning of love".

~~~~~~~~~~

"Watch out!"

Leah's first instinct was to heed King Adam's warning, covering her ears and lowering her head, just barely avoiding another showering of tinted glass. Jagged fragments of gold and red, reminiscent of multicolored stars, smashed against the floor with a headache-inducing trill, a coexistence of delicacy and danger.

"Are you alright?" A question that had been asked more times than necessary, to which Leah nodded in response, hesitantly lifting her head.

"I'm fine, Adam. Are you?"

A nod, civil and obedient.

"Good. Let's continue, then."

The group had spent the previous few minutes turning corner after corner, stepping through hallways glossed in darkness. Each individual light source had been extinguished, providing more evidence towards the theory that this intrusion had been planned. Thankfully, King Adam had spent countless nights parading around various wings of the castle in darkness thicker than this, and knew each corner perfectly- which still didn't excuse the fact that Leah had put herself in incredible danger.

Every so often, another window would shatter, or another array of footsteps would echo from further down the hall, or another icy laugh would descend upon the room. And the anxiety- the anxiety was both dreadful and desirable at the same time. Leah felt her veins start to burn, and each individual nerve cell throbbed in anguish, drunk on the belief that something gruesome was about to occur. Leah found the sensation to be utterly euphoric.

"Are you sure that you don't want to turn back, my friend?" Odelia questioned. "After all, you-"

"No." Leah shook her head. "No, I- I can't."

That was a lie. She could, definitely, turn back- it would have been easier for her to spin on her heel and flee rather than stay within the sight of danger. However, she couldn't bring herself to fight the disgusting sense of fascination that had bloomed within her chest, poisoned flowers whose elongated stems had coiled themselves around each bone in her ribcage.

Leah had been born with a passion for danger, and she hated it.

"Mother?"

And, just as quickly as they'd bloomed, the flowers died, and the pounding sense of euphoria came to a halt.