10

"You fucking hypocrite!" Lilith shouted, storming down the stairs as Jack walked in

"Okay, let's take a breath." Hamish told her as she neared the bottom of the stairs.

"You have the nerve to give me shit about eating some monsters heart, but you turn around and drive a van full of people to their death!" Lilith stepped in front of Jack.

"You what?" Randall asked from beside me.

"It's the Elemental Transference. The spell needs willing sacrifices." Jack explained.

"Sacrifices? As in plural?" I asked, joining the conversation.

"Five of them." Jack shrugged.

"You're supposed to be sabotaging it. Not helping." I reminded him, standing up.

"I did sabotage it! Okay? And we were up and running again in twelve hours." Jack shouted back.

"Dude...we're your 'we'." Randall reminded him but got an annoyed look in return.

"So you failed. You admit it." Lilith spoke again.

"No. Look, I talked to Coventry. I saw it in his eyes. He's so desperate for this spell, he'll do anything. He'll risk the entire Order, and we need to know why." Jack told us.

"We know why." Hamish chimed in.

"This spell curse sickness by passing it on to other people." Randall handed a spell book to Jack.

"And they don't just die. The disease has to kill them, or else the whole thing reverses. It's torture, Jack." I explained.

"When did I learn Latin?" Jack asked, completely missing the point.

"Look, no! If he's doing this spell, he's doing it for a reason. There'll be something big at the end of it. If we play it smart, I can figure out what Coventry's after, what his plan is, and then at the right moment-" Jack was interrupted by Lilith.

"The moment is now! This is the reason we became Knights!" She reminded us.

"What if we make it worse? What if we save these five people, and then he kills a thousand?" Jack shouted back at her.

"I won't let that happen." Hamish told him.

"He lit his hand on fire as a parlor trick. You go at him, he's gonna put you down. And then none of this is gonna matter." Jack spoke.

"It's gonna matter to those five people." Lilith pointed out.

"Oh, whatever, Kill-ith." Jack rolled his eyes.

"Okay, I love that nickname, but this is still wrong." Lilith replied.

"Randall, you wanted an inside man. Let me do my job as a Knight." Jack told Randall who went to speak but Jack cut him off by turning away.

"Dylan, no one can save those people, be we can stop Edward Coventry for good." Jack told me.

"You see a chance to stop this spell, you take it." I replied.

"I promise I will." Jack agreed.

"Then go." I allowed Jack to leave.

Lilith gave me a betrayed look before looking at the ground.

Lilith slammed a book down in front of me.

"I've read Hamish' stupid book. This Knight? She was like you. She was a leader from a broken pack. She listened to people, she trusted their instincts. She believed in the cause." Lilith told me.

"So do I." I replied, not seeing her point.

"We can't just sit here. It's obvious the boys won't help but I have to stop that spell." Lilith continued.

"We can't fight The Order head on." I answered her unasked question.

"I get it, Dylan, you're scared and you want to live." Lilith started.

"I'm not scared. And duh!" I told her, my voice getting a bit louder as my anger grew.

"But the price those people are paying is on us. Jack won't save them. He can't even save himself." Lilith ignored my interruption.

"Jack's one of us. He'll do the right thing." I spoke, my voice returning to its calmed tone.

Before Lilith could reply a sharp ringing rang through the air.

"This is it, Dylan. It's happening. So, you need to decide. What kind of leader are you? What kind of alpha?" Lilith pushed me a step too far.

"The kind that knows what she's doing. The kind that won't let the closest thing I have to family rush in, blindly might I add, into some..some suicide mission!" I stood up, my height rising above her slightly.

Lilith went to say something else but I cut her off.

"Stand down." I warned her.

"Listen-" She stated, ignoring my warning.

"Stand down." I growled, my eyes glowing red uncontrollably.

Lilith looked scared before stomping her way upstairs.

"Jack said he would come back. He fucked us. It's over." Lilith followed me, Randall and Hamish down the stairs.

"No. We can still stop it." I shook my head.

"How?" Lilith asked looking at me.

"The book said the sacrifices have to die from the disease." I reminded them.

"And what happens if they don't?" Randall asked.

"We win. Follow my lead." I told them as the three of them followed me outside.

"About fucking time." Lilith smiled.