14

"It's never going to work, you know? You and Alyssa

"It's never going to work, you know? You and Alyssa." Hamish told Jack as we walked down a flight of stairs.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." Jack sighed.

"Don't take it personally. It's not you." I patted his shoulder.

"Well, it's not her." Jack replied.

"I can't imagine being in a relationship with someone in the opposite side. It's hard enough being in one with another Knight." Hamish told us.

"You and Lilith?" Jack shouted while he stopped walking.

"Or Randall." Jack spoke again.

"No. And he wishes." Hamish replied.

"Am I dust to you?" I asked Jack, offended that he thought of Randall before me.

"Well I know it isn't you." Jack told me while checking a room.

"Why?" I asked, stopping.

"Just...you know. Besides, you're siblings." Jack shrugged.

"What do you mean? And I know we're siblings." I started walking again.

"Anyway..." Jack looked at Hamish.

"Her name was Cassie. Classic love story. Boy meets girl. Girl turns out to be werewolf. Boy agreed to follow girl anywhere, and girl ends up dead." Hamish explained what happened with him and Cassie.

"I'm sorry, Hamish." Jack told him.

"Don't be. Cassie loved being a Knight. She was totally committed to the cause." Hamish replied.

"What about you?" Jack asked him.

"I swore an oath." Hamish replied.

"If you could leave, if there was a way to get out, would you take it?" Jack asked.

"Would you?" Hamish answered his question with a question.

Someone banged on a door as we walked past.

"Hey, assholes! Get out of here!" They shouted.

"Is that the guy we fought at the Blade & Chalice?" I asked them.

"Have you seen our friend?" Hamish asked him.

"Yeah! They're doing shit to him! They've done shit to all of us." The man told us through the glass.

"What kind of shit?" Jack asked for more details.

"They do-they do something and it makes us change." The man told us.

"What did they do?" I shouted when the man started groaning and screaming while holding his neck.

"Hang on! We'll get you out of here. What the hell is this place built out of?" Hamish shouted while trying to tear the door off its hinges.