~26~

Jim smiles as he watches Ember swim into the sea skillfully.
He can feel a warm, comfortable, happiness within him and he can't help but enjoy every moment of it.
Jim stretches his bones and leans back enjoying the sun on his skin.
The weather is hot but the breeze blows the sea water into the air, cooling it down a bit.

Suddenly, Jim is pulled out of his thoughts by the ringing of his phone.
He groans as he grabs it.
His eyes go wide as he realizes it's the number of the local police station.
His mind races as he thinks about all the reasons they may be calling him for.
Did Corey do something?
Did Mick finally snap and break someone's face?

Jim hesitantly presses answer and pulls the phone to his ear.

"Is this James Root," a man's voice says though the phone.

"This is he," Jim says as he clears his throat.

"Hello, I'm officer Mrconners, I'm calling to discuss the man who attacked your girlfriend Ember," the officer says.

Jim feels himself tense up and he sits up a little.

"Okay," Jim says into the speaker.

He can feel his blood beginning to boil as he thinks back to the events that happened a while ago.

"So we think we caught him but we need one of you to come in and give us confirmation," the police officer says.

Jim sighs as he scratches at his neck.

"When?" Jim asks.

"Tomorrow evening," the officer informs him.

"Alright, I'll be there," Jim says as he looks out at the ocean.

"See you then," the officer says as he hangs up the phone.

Jim sets his phone down and rests his head in his hands. So much for having a relaxing day at the beach.

Jim decides to get up and go join Ember in the ocean.
He might as well have a good time before he gives Ember the news and kills the mood.
Ember swims up to him and chuckles as she jumps into his arms.
Jim smiles and picks her up. Ember's legs instantly wrap around his waist and she giggles as Jim begins to walk farther out into the sea.

"Who was on the phone?" Ember asks as she plays with Jim's beard.

Jim gulps and holds her tighter against him.

"I'll tell you later," he says simply.

Ember shrugs and Jim feels himself relax a little.

Suddenly, Jim goes under the water bringing Ember with him.
Ember squeals and quickly holds her breath as she goes underwater with Jim.
She looks at him through the water and she quickly swims back to the top.
Ember looks around her for Jim.
Jim grabs her ankle and pulls her back into the water.

Ember let's out a playful scream as she sinks back into the water. She can feel Jim's arms wrap around her and she resists the urge to giggle.

She jumps out of his grasp and back upwards so that she can take a breath of air.
Jim surfaces and pulls her to him quickly.
She giggles as he tickles her sides.

"Jim," she laughs as she tries to squirm away from him.

Jim grabs her hand and pulls her back to him as he continues tickling her with a big smile on his face.

Ember laughs and pushes him as she starts swimming away quickly. Jim chuckles as he watches her swim out a bit.
She smiles as she treads water and looks over at Jim.
She motions for him to swim to her and he does with out second thought.

"I love the ocean," Ember smiles as she floats.

The waves are calm and the water isn't too cold, making it perfect for Ember to float around.

"I wish I could be a shark," Ember smiles as she looks up at Jim.

"Why a shark?" Jim chuckles as he splashes water on her.

Ember giggles as she splashes him back.

"Well for many reasons. One, sharks are just cool. Two, their lives are quite simple. Mate, feed, kill, repeat," Ember winks at him, "Plus I've always wanted to be a Marine Biologist."

"Really? I didn't know that. Why didn't you become one?" Jim asks as he envisions Ember as a marine biologist.

"Well I still want to but I don't know, school is expensive," Ember chuckles as she twirls in the water.

"How expensive?" Jim questions.

"Well you have to have a masters degree to be a marine biologist, it's not even a choice," Ember chuckles.

"I could pay for it," Jim tells her.

Ember's eyes go wide and she shakes her head quickly.

"No," She tells him.

"Why not," Jim smiles as he pulls her into him.

"Because I'm not gonna take your money like that," Ember says as she continues to shake her head.

"You wouldn't be taking my money," Jim laughs.

Ember rolls her eyes.

"You don't need to buy me anything," she mutters.

"Come on! I can tell it's something you're passionate about so why not let me pay for it?" Jim smiles as he kisses Ember on the cheek.

"I'm not a gold digger Jim. I'm not gonna take your money," Ember smiles as she shakes her head at him.

"I know you're not. You barely let me pay the bill at restaurants," Jim laughs.

"Yeah because I can pay the bill," Ember argues.

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I like buying you things," Jim smiles as he tickles her again.

Ember giggles.

"It's still a no," she says.

"It's a maybe," Jim tells her.

She shakes her head.

"It's a no. You're not paying for my schooling," Ember argues.

"It's a definitely now," Jim smiles as he picks her up.

Ember rolls her eyes.

"It's a maybe," she smiles.

Jim chuckles and kisses her. Ember gladly kisses him back as her legs tighten around his waist.

"We should go surfing," Ember smiles as she points over to the surfboard hut.

"Why not," Jim smiles as he sets Ember down in the water and they both begin swimming back to shore.