~13~

Jim sets down his guitar and sighs as he strokes his beard. He hasn't heard from Ember all day.
He knows she's busy with all the jobs that she works but it's weird for her to not even send him a quick text.

Jim bites his lip nervously as he checks his phone for the millionth time that day.

He sets his phone down and tries to take his mind off of it by picking his guitar up again.

He starts picking the strings, learning his parts of the new songs that slipknot is rehearsing.

Suddenly his phone buzzes and he practically throws down his guitar.
He grabs his phone excitedly but when he sees it's just a notification for an app he grumbles.

"Stupid app," Jim sighs.

Jim opens his messages and looks at his texts between him and Ember. He sent a text to her thirty minutes ago.

When Jim sees that she read it he scrunches his brows together. Why would she leave him on read.

Jim feels himself start to panic, he hopes she hasn't hurt herself.

"Calm down," Jim mumbles out loud as he runs his hands through his hair and takes some deep breathes.

Jim stands up quickly and walks to the front door of his apartment.
He slips on his boots and opens the front door.

He quickly walks down the hall to Ember's house.

It's currently eight p.m. so she should be home by now.

Jim knocks on the door and waits anxiously.

He hears Blackbeard sniff the door and then let out a little bark.

When he doesn't hear anyone moving around in the apartment he knocks again.

"Ember! It's me Jim! Open up!" Jim calls.

When no one responds he sighs.

He digs through his pocket and pulls out a spare key that he took when Ember was in the shower the other day.
Jim figured he'd probably need the key to get in just in case she did something stupid while he wasn't with her.

Jim unlocks the door and opens it.

Blackbeard rushes up to him and jumps up. He places his front paws on Jim's legs.

"Hey buddy," Jim says as he scratches behind his ears.

"Where's momma?" Jim asks.

As if Blackbeard understands what he's saying he dashes off and pushes open a door to one of the rooms.

Jim closes the front door and locks it. He then follows Blackbeard's path.

Jim opens the door to the room that Blackbeard entered.

He sees Ember painting in the center of the room.

Jim smiles and let's put a breath of relief.

"I've felt the hate rise up in me," Ember hums as she adds another stroke of paint to the canvas.

Jim walks up to Ember and kisses her on the cheek.

Ember jumps and almost knocks over a can of paint.

She pulls out her earbuds and stares up at Jim.

"Oh my gosh you scared me," Ember breathes as she places her hand on her chest.

"Sorry," Jim smiles.

Jim can't stop smiling, he's glad Ember is okay.

"How did you get in?" Ember asks.